She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

Is there an amount on how long I should wait before I help him? I'm assuming Ill have to assist the entire hatch at some point.
Where is he now? and can you send a pic of what he looks like, I'm curious to see the hole, plus what is your humidity and temp at and do you have a fan. Also did you get rid of the paper towel? I'll give everyone my thoughts on wet paper towels let me play catch up a little bit here.

Good morning all and I hope your hatches are going well, haven't had time to catch up.

I have one Marans out since last night and more on the way!!
jumpy.gif

So, last night at 7pm started day 21 for the first ones I set. And there's the first lesson for me, set all eggs on one day! Otherwise, if an early pipper needs assistance I risk losing others to drying out and whatnot opening up the bator. I had one pip yesterday morning, but not through the membrane yet. I opened the bator for 1-2 minutes to separate a carton and put in a wall of hardware cloth to separate some eggs I needed to identify. By afternoon that egg had finally broken through the shell and popped it's beak out, but it didn't start to zip. Meanwhile one of the eggs on the other side of the wall, a Marans, pipped, zipped and hatched. It started zipping about 7pm and was out by 7:30. By later that night still no change on the first one, so I opened the bator briefly to lay it down thinking maybe it could maneuver better (they were all upright). I left the lone Marans in and it's still in, fluffed up and chirping away. This morning there is still no change to that first egg (I think it's a CL egg with a BCM roo, so it is an OE), but it is still alive at least. I'm afraid it may be stuck. I have several others pipped and 2 zipped and working on hatching. Geez, I didn't realize this would be so nerve racking! At least temps are finally steady (they were fluctuating a degree or so, never higher than 100.6) and humidity is in my goal range of 70-80% based on what the lady successfully hatches at who I got the Marans eggs from.

Any thoughts from you seasoned hatchers from any "team"? I'd love to hear them. Thank so much and happy hatching!

ps: so excited to see these babies hatch! It's like Christmas morning!
Well I wouldn't change a thing right now. It's been how many hours?

Thank you! I have three others out now on that side and they are piling up near it and have rolled it a bit so I can't see the hole at the moment, however before that it was finally making the hole bigger - so that's great! I'm really hoping it's not stuck and can make it out. Since I did the dummy thing of setting over three days, would there be a point where I can remove the ones that have hatched and fluffed if others haven't hatched yet? I could put a steaming kettle right near the bator when I lift the lid to get them out, hopefully the moist air would be drawn in instead of the drier air. I can wait as long as Friday night I think - that would be 3 days for the first guy that hatched out last night. What do you think? Day 21 for that last ones I set will be tomorrow evening. Thanks so much!
I pull mine out as they hatch and become active.

Whew.... Ok more than halfway into day 20.

I have 7 silkies out, all 7 of the Spitzhaubens, two of the green eggs (one nn one not). 5 pipped silkie eggs, one green egg in hospital -middle of assisting- for not enough moisture loss causeing a very large chick who couldn't turn with excess fluid in the shell. Prognosis=hopeful.

I have to share a pic of one of the silkie chicks. My fav pic thus far:

Whew.... Ok more than halfway into day 20.

I have 7 silkies out, all 7 of the Spitzhaubens, two of the green eggs (one nn one not). 5 pipped silkie eggs, one green egg in hospital -middle of assisting- for not enough moisture loss causeing a very large chick who couldn't turn with excess fluid in the shell. Prognosis=hopeful.

I have to share a pic of one of the silkie chicks. My fav pic thus far:

OMG! So stinkin cute!! I'm picking up Sizzle eggs this weekend - my son wanted silkies until he saw the sizzles, we may get some of each.
So, when you pull out the fluffy ones, it doesn't affect the ones who are in the process of hatching?

Well I wouldn't change a thing right now. It's been how many hours?
It first pipped yesterday morning. However, it is finally trying to push out! I'm hopeful!

I have some climbers - they are getting on top of the sponge and almost getting over my wall and near the elements (fan) - I will have to open up and get them out if they keep it up- at least take the sponge out. The hardware cloth is not completely smooth on top and I don't want them to get hurt.

OMG! So stinkin cute!! I'm picking up Sizzle eggs this weekend - my son wanted silkies until he saw the sizzles, we may get some of each.
So, when you pull out the fluffy ones, it doesn't affect the ones who are in the process of hatching?
I don't have any problems. I keep my humidity 70/75% during hatch.
I wouldn't mind a couple frizzles and sizzles....lol

Last edited:
Great, I may take some out today then. I had read that the temp and humidity difference between room and bator can draw cool dry air into the bator and shells within seconds.

The one I was worried about being shrink wrapped is out! It is strong and flopping all over but it's neck seems bent to the left. It also had a bit of bleeding at the umbilicus.

Great, I may take some out today then. I had read that the temp and humidity difference between room and bator can draw cool dry air into the bator and shells within seconds.

The one I was worried about being shrink wrapped is out! It is strong and flopping all over but it's neck seems bent to the left. It also had a bit of bleeding at the umbilicus.
There maybe a little dried membrane pulling the neck to one side that may need to be washed off. If you wash it and it doesn't straighten up after a while, It could be wry neck.

Good morning all and I hope your hatches are going well, haven't had time to catch up.  

I have one Marans out since last night and more on the way!!  :jumpy

So, last night at 7pm started day 21 for the first ones I set.  And there's the first lesson for me, set all eggs on one day! Otherwise, if an early pipper needs assistance I risk losing others to drying out and whatnot opening up the bator.   I had one pip yesterday morning, but not through the membrane yet.  I opened the bator for 1-2 minutes to separate a carton and put in a wall of hardware cloth to separate some eggs I needed to identify.  By afternoon that egg had finally broken through the shell and popped it's beak out, but it didn't start to zip.  Meanwhile one of the eggs on the other side of the wall, a Marans, pipped, zipped and hatched.  It started zipping about 7pm and was out by 7:30.  By later that night still no change on the first one, so I opened the bator briefly to lay it down thinking maybe it could maneuver better (they were all upright).  I left the lone Marans in and it's still in, fluffed up and chirping away.  This morning there is still no change to that first egg (I think it's a CL egg with a BCM roo, so it is an OE), but it is still alive at least.  I'm afraid it may be stuck.  I have several others pipped and 2 zipped and working on hatching.  Geez, I didn't realize this would be so nerve racking!  At least temps are finally steady (they were fluctuating a degree or so, never higher than 100.6) and humidity is in my goal range of 70-80% based on what the lady successfully hatches at who I got the Marans eggs from.  

Any thoughts from you seasoned hatchers from any "team"?  I'd love to hear them.  Thank so much and happy hatching!

ps: so excited to see these babies hatch!  It's like Christmas morning!

I've noticed that the first to pip usually take the longest to zip. Also, I was going to say that when I'm struggling with humidity and need to open the incubator, I boil a pot of water in the kitchen. My incubator is right off the kitchen. That usually does the trick.

It has a SLP daddy and a SLP/EE momma.

So so so cute!

Back
Top Bottom