She suddenly died

sagealbright

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
hello!

My partridge silkie hen, Foxy, reached a year old in May. She's always been a very active little girl and was at the top of the pecking order. A few weeks ago she finally became broody. I was waiting for one of my girls to sit on eggs for what seemed like forever. After about a week she decided she wasn't sitting on the eggs anymore and went back to her normal rituals. Although after she stopped being broody she seemed a lot slower and weaker. I checked online and saw that sitting on eggs takes a toll on their body so a attributed her personality change to that and figured she would grow stronger in time. Then about a week ago I noticed her butt was extremely pasty. I cleaned her up and sent her on her way. No signs of worms, cocci, or any other illness. However, I treated all the girls anyway just in case. A few days ago I went in the morning to let everyone out to free range and found my little Foxy had passed away during the night. Anyone have an idea of what caused this? Do you think he short spurt of being broody was too much to handle? I didn't get a chance to take her for a Necropsy like I normally do when a bird passes away. I hate that I wasn't able to save her. She was my only female silkie and my silkie roo is missing her terribly.

hello!

My partridge silkie hen, Foxy, reached a year old in May. She's always been a very active little girl and was at the top of the pecking order. A few weeks ago she finally became broody. I was waiting for one of my girls to sit on eggs for what seemed like forever. After about a week she decided she wasn't sitting on the eggs anymore and went back to her normal rituals. Although after she stopped being broody she seemed a lot slower and weaker. I checked online and saw that sitting on eggs takes a toll on their body so a attributed her personality change to that and figured she would grow stronger in time. Then about a week ago I noticed her butt was extremely pasty. I cleaned her up and sent her on her way. No signs of worms, cocci, or any other illness. However, I treated all the girls anyway just in case. A few days ago I went in the morning to let everyone out to free range and found my little Foxy had passed away during the night. Anyone have an idea of what caused this? Do you think he short spurt of being broody was too much to handle? I didn't get a chance to take her for a Necropsy like I normally do when a bird passes away. I hate that I wasn't able to save her. She was my only female silkie and my silkie roo is missing her terribly.
What did you treat for and what did you treat with?

Treated her for worms and cocci. I didn't know what else could make her little butt so pasty. Used Corid for the cocci and Safeguard for worms. I put it in the drinking water like I normally do when I treat the flock.

Back
Top Bottom