• Meat

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Wool

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Dairy

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
Hi Everyone - Just found this thread... We decided to start small with sheep and see where it goes. I was raised on a cattle farm but have not had "livestock" for many years. I have not been around sheep at all and was wanting to find out more about them before they "move in", but my husband works with a gentleman who has Dorper and now they will arrive next week! I have been reading online non-stop, but was wondering if there is anything I "ABSOLUTELY" must do before they get here? Thanks in advance for any information!!

Hey I just found this thread too! I just started getting into sheep. I have 20 bred ewes right now, all first time lambers. They are Dorset/East Friesen crosses. The people I bought them from like the East Friesen in their ewes as it tends to add to milk production so they can support more lambs. So less bottle lambs. I guess we'll see! Though I'll have mostly singles this year anyways since they are all first time mamas.

Mine are due to start lambing June 10th. They'll get vaccinated and sheared in May.

RedBrush farm - the "must haves" for me where obviously having feed and sheep mineral on hand, and feeders. We have heated automatic waterers which are great. I'm just building up my lambing supply kit!

I just love my girls!
http://instagram.com/p/W2RBaUrh2J/
http://instagram.com/p/Wxt4sGLh5l/

Quote:
Hi Everyone - Just found this thread... We decided to start small with sheep and see where it goes. I was raised on a cattle farm but have not had "livestock" for many years. I have not been around sheep at all and was wanting to find out more about them before they "move in", but my husband works with a gentleman who has Dorper and now they will arrive next week! I have been reading online non-stop, but was wondering if there is anything I "ABSOLUTELY" must do before they get here? Thanks in advance for any information!!
Sheep are pretty hardy and relatively easy to keep. We have 20 romney/Finn cross sheep. They just need a little bit of shelter. Some hwere to stay dry and out of the wind. We give ours hay in the winter and have enough pasture to not have to feed anything in the summer. W only give grain to the bred ewes. They need fresh water. Sheep minerals. Make sure you feed and minerals are for SHEEP as goat and other feed has copper in it and sheep can not tolerate as much copper. We just use a big round bale for the sheep in the winter. GOOD FENCING is a MUST! Are you getting bred ewes? Rams? Open Ewes? Have the number of a good large animal vet. We worm our sheep at the begining of spring and then again as needed based on the flock and weather conditions. We trim hooves at shearing and then again as needed. Get the number of a local sheep shearer. We just sheared our sheep this morning to give you an idea. Our girls get vary heavy wool and will pant in 50 degree weather. Also it is best to shear your sheep before they lamb as well. Makes it a lot easier for you and the babies. I had 0 sheep experince 4 years ago. now I can help the ewes with lambing if needed, tube a lamb if needed and know when to call the vet for assitance. BUT it has been a learing process. It didn't all come at once. I too had been around livestock (horses mostly) all my life. We lost lots of lambs in the begining. It happens to everyone and you can't get discouraged about it. Even experienced shepherds lose lambs/sheep.

Hey I just found this thread too! I just started getting into sheep. I have 20 bred ewes right now, all first time lambers. They are Dorset/East Friesen crosses. The people I bought them from like the East Friesen in their ewes as it tends to add to milk production so they can support more lambs. So less bottle lambs. I guess we'll see! Though I'll have mostly singles this year anyways since they are all first time mamas.

Mine are due to start lambing June 10th. They'll get vaccinated and sheared in May.

RedBrush farm - the "must haves" for me where obviously having feed and sheep mineral on hand, and feeders. We have heated automatic waterers which are great. I'm just building up my lambing supply kit!

I just love my girls!
http://instagram.com/p/W2RBaUrh2J/
http://instagram.com/p/Wxt4sGLh5l/

If you are going to have lambs, this is what you need. HAVE COLOSTRUM ON HAND IN THE FREEZER!! I have cow colostrum from my neighbor in the freezer. It has made all the difference in my lambs. Also have the good powdered lamb milk replacer. I use sav-a-lamb. it keeps when it is kept sealed. Best to have it on hand incase you need it. A regular baby bottle works, or you can get the lamb bottle, but i like to use the baby bottle for new born or small lambs. it's easier for them to get in their mouthes. I also use nutri drench in my new born lambs and the ewes after going through labour. It just gives them a little jump start of energey and vitamins and minerals. Syringes are nice to have on hand as well. It is always nice to know where you can get penicillin and needles locally. Iodine to dip the umbilical cord. Sharp scissors to clip the umbilical cord shorter (about an inch below the belly) Stuff to dock tails if you need to. Sheep should have the CDT shot before lambing. Towels to help dry lambs. A heat lamp if it is cold. Sheep can bloat very easily, so know the signs of it. there are lots of home recipies for it on line. I have leared from just searching and reading stuff on line. ALos make sure you have a place to seperate the new mom and babies. called a lambing jug. You need to confine the mom with her baby/babies so they can bond. This is especially tru for new oms who might not know what to do. you can make it out of cattle panels, pallets, really anything to pen them up in. Sorry for the long post. I am sure i missed stuff. :) Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Hello All,
I am new to this thread. Hoped I could ask for some input on a situation I have.

I have acquired a lil ram that had been left for dead at the sale barn, so I don't know his age or heritage (any ideas on what breed he is would be appreciated)
His name is Mookie and he is all black except for a white star and white tip on his tail.
He is doing fine on feed no interest in a bottle, but about every 5 days or so he scours I give him kaopectate twice maybe 3 times and he is fine then 5 or 6 days later here we go again! any ideas??? Thanks so much
I am so glad a nice person showed me the way to your thread, I have many many kinds of animals but sheep hold a special place in my heart!

well geez if eating to much could be it, I would have to say yes. They are CONSTANTLY beggin'!! When I got him he had not been eating anything, in awhile, was close to death so introducing slowly (even tho I know that to be true) just wasn't an option. However I haven't changed any feed for just that reason, they have been eating a sheep mix from my mill from the beginning. Thanks so much!

It's actually better to start starving animals on less food and work them up to larger amounts because they aren't used to eating and just like if you didn't eat for a week and then ate everything you saw for an entire day you'd feel terrible- same thing with the animals ;)

It's actually better to start starving animals on less food and work them up to larger amounts because they aren't used to eating and just like if you didn't eat for a week and then ate everything you saw for an entire day you'd feel terrible- same thing with the animals ;)

started him on a cup 3 times a day. Is that to much??? hardly seems like anything but then I feed horses lol and many PHAT birds

Back
Top Bottom