• Meat

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Wool

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Dairy

Votes: 7 7.9%

• Total voters
Pics
A cup of what? And does he have free access to hay?

I cant tell from the pics, but you can feel his body condition. If you can feel his vertebrae processes and all his ribs, I'd go very slow on all the feed. Only thing he should have free access to is water and mineral if he really was starved. But everyone has their own idea of what their animals' condition ideal is- so you kind of have to gauge where he's at and go from there.

Have you checked him for parasite load? I'd take a fecal sample to the Vet to be floated :)

Guess I am not very good at this forum thing lol.
Maybe I should start over.
About 3 wks ago I got a starving lamb that the people at sale barn left for dead.
took him home, got him warmed up and hydrated then began a slow rehabilitation, I know some about sheep (not alot) but I have rehabilitated many many types of animals so just used basic theory, hydrate, slow with grain, free access to hay (if called for) warm and dry, plenty of water, electrolytes.
after I saw he was gonna make it and he was more stable he was wormed (however still researching shots needed)
anyway 3 weeks later he has gained good weight, playful, ALWAYS hungry. He gets sheep mix 1 cup 3 times a day at this point (but I think he is ready to get a little more now) mineral salt and free choice hay
BUT from day 1 he has had this issue of every 4 or 5 days he has a bout with diarrhea 2 or 3 doses of kaopectate and he is good to go for another 4, 5 maybe 6 days
What do you think? anyone had this issue? Has anyone used bio sponge on their sheep?
Thank you for reading this long post!!

I don't feed my sheep a sheep mix, except as a treat to train them to be personable (a handful as a reward). They eat pasture and hay when pasture isn't available. That's it, along with their free choice minerals and water. But I'm no expert either.

I would deworm him again with an oral sheep drench like Cydectin or Ivomec. Three weeks is plenty of time for a new batch of parasites to hatch and wreak havoc and persistent scours can be an indication of a very heavy parasite load. As far as vaccinations go, you can give him a shot of Covexin 8 and booster it in 6 weeks. This will cover him for Overeating Disease, Tetanus, and Blackleg. If Blackleg is not a concern in your area then you can give a shot of CD&T, following up with a booster. It is up to you if you want to vaccinate for CL. I would not vaccinate against Sore Mouth unless you know that you already have it because the vaccine can actually introduce the disease to a clean flock. That's just my two cents about it. The poor little guy looks like he has had a hard life and he is lucky to have you.

Guess I am not very good at this forum thing lol.
Maybe I should start over.
About 3 wks ago I got a starving lamb that the people at sale barn left for dead.
took him home, got him warmed up and hydrated then began a slow rehabilitation, I know some about sheep (not alot) but I have rehabilitated many many types of animals so just used basic theory, hydrate, slow with grain, free access to hay (if called for) warm and dry, plenty of water, electrolytes.
after I saw he was gonna make it and he was more stable he was wormed (however still researching shots needed)
anyway 3 weeks later he has gained good weight, playful, ALWAYS hungry. He gets sheep mix 1 cup 3 times a day at this point (but I think he is ready to get a little more now) mineral salt and free choice hay
BUT from day 1 he has had this issue of every 4 or 5 days he has a bout with diarrhea 2 or 3 doses of kaopectate and he is good to go for another 4, 5 maybe 6 days
What do you think? anyone had this issue? Has anyone used bio sponge on their sheep?
Thank you for reading this long post!!
We never feed our sheep grain, only grass, alfalfa, and grass hay. They only get diarrhea when they have rich grasses and weeds. Personally, I would take him off the feed. Sheep don't need grain since they are ruminants.

I would deworm him again with an oral sheep drench like Cydectin or Ivomec. Three weeks is plenty of time for a new batch of parasites to hatch and wreak havoc and persistent scours can be an indication of a very heavy parasite load. As far as vaccinations go, you can give him a shot of Covexin 8 and booster it in 6 weeks. This will cover him for Overeating Disease, Tetanus, and Blackleg. If Blackleg is not a concern in your area then you can give a shot of CD&T, following up with a booster. It is up to you if you want to vaccinate for CL. I would not vaccinate against Sore Mouth unless you know that you already have it because the vaccine can actually introduce the disease to a clean flock. That's just my two cents about it. The poor little guy looks like he has had a hard life and he is lucky to have you.

Thanks so much thats helpful info! Doesn't hurt that I totally agree lol
Thanks again

Thanks for the input Ladyrsanti and silkiesforever! I will be taking him off grain for the most part when he is stronger.

By the way, silkiesforever, OMG I went to an auction last night and holy moses the price of chickens!! I had spotted a couple of cages of silkies I wanted geez they started the bidding at $20 A HEAD!!! don't know where you live or what the prices are like but thats just CRAZY TALK! needless to say I didn't get home with any silkies! lol

Back
Top Bottom