Shell less eggs leaving grossness on other eggs

t-leigh

In the Brooder
Aug 11, 2023
I didn't know how else to title this to set this problem apart from those asking how to fix the problem.
We have 9 hens and a roo (for flock protection and he does a great job). One hen regularly deposits either soft shelled or no shelled eggs. They are free range all day and pop in at different times but all of them lay the eggs in the same spot. I gather multiple times a day, but often there will be a shell less mess all over 2 or 3 other eggs.
I'm doing the calcium thing, but right now, this post, I'm asking what do/would people do with the icky eggs? I don't want to wash because then the bloom is gone and there's going to be bacteria in the yolks stuff. Are they OK to keep and eat with the sticky residue?
ETA, they are all adults that have been laying for a while.
Please be kind. I'm asking for help. TIA

I didn't know how else to title this to set this problem apart from those asking how to fix the problem.
We have 9 hens and a roo (for flock protection and he does a great job). One hen regularly deposits either soft shelled or no shelled eggs. They are free range all day and pop in at different times but all of them lay the eggs in the same spot. I gather multiple times a day, but often there will be a shell less mess all over 2 or 3 other eggs.
I'm doing the calcium thing, but right now, this post, I'm asking what do/would people do with the icky eggs? I don't want to wash because then the bloom is gone and there's going to be bacteria in the yolks stuff. Are they OK to keep and eat with the sticky residue?
ETA, they are all adults that have been laying for a while.
Please be kind. I'm asking for help. TIA
What do you mean by "calcium thing?" It sounds like they need oyster shell and/or perhaps vitamins in their water for a few days. You shouldn't have this happening.

I keep a gunny sack of straw close by and sprinkle some fresh in there once a week or so and once a month clean it all out and start fresh. It makes a huge difference.

You can wash those eggs and just keep them in the fridge then.

No. Wash the gunk off immediately and then refrigerate the egg.

This☝️

To figure out which hen is laying the shell deficient eggs you may have to pen each hen up alone for a day or two until they lay. Then you will know who may either need intense calcium treatment or have a detective shell gland.

No. Wash the gunk off immediately and then refrigerate the egg.

This☝️

To figure out which hen is laying the shell deficient eggs you may have to pen each hen up alone for a day or two until they lay. Then you will know who may either need intense calcium treatment or have a detective shell gland.
Both of these. I'd clean off the intact-but-dirty eggs, dry them off, refrigerate, and move them to the front of the line to be used up first. It shouldn't be an issue that way even though the bloom is compromised as refrigeration will slow any bacterial growth.

And then figure out which hen(s) need extra calcium and supplement.

Back
Top Bottom