Shipped: 15 Barbu D'anvers, 5 possible flavors

Congratulations on the chicks that made it all the way to hatch!🥰
I have dealt with shipped eggs many times and it is always a gamble. I’ve had anywhere from 90% hatch rate all the way down to 0% hatch rate. Much of it is due to the way they are handled by the USPS. Even eggs that are beautifully packed by the breeder can have very scrambled looking air cells. At this point I consider myself lucky if only one or two hatch out of a whole batch.
Most recently I only had one hatch out of almost 30 eggs. Of course it ended up being a cockerel.🤣
From reading your thread sounds like you did everything you could to ensure the best outcome. The NR 360 is also an excellent incubator.
😊

Congratulations on the chicks that made it all the way to hatch!🥰
I have dealt with shipped eggs many times and it is always a gamble. I’ve had anywhere from 90% hatch rate all the way down to 0% hatch rate. Much of it is due to the way they are handled by the USPS. Even eggs that are beautifully packed by the breeder can have very scrambled looking air cells. At this point I consider myself lucky if only one or two hatch out of a whole batch.
Most recently I only had one hatch out of almost 30 eggs. Of course it ended up being a cockerel.🤣
From reading your thread sounds like you did everything you could to ensure the best outcome. The NR 360 is also an excellent incubator.
😊
Thank you so much! This means a lot. I mean it, really. Since this was my first time I was very anxious. I'm always anxious, but this was anxious x10. I hoped for 2 and came away with 6. I am very happy!

Are you making observations on the chick that's screaming? Maybe there's something not obvious to you for why it might be screaming.

I have my temperature in the brooder at 100 degrees for 3 days for newly hatched chicks.

Are you making observations on the chick that's screaming? Maybe there's something not obvious to you for why it might be screaming.

I have my temperature in the brooder at 100 degrees for 3 days for newly hatched chicks.
All I can see is that it's capable of producing a shocking amount of decibels without opening it's mouth. It is doing all the things the other chicks are doing in the brooder: eating, pooping, dozing off, drinking, whatever, but while constantly screaming, lol. If it's not screaming it's just making a stream of low grade noise. When I pick it up the room is almost totally silent and it's bizarre.

All I can see is that it's capable of producing a shocking amount of decibels without opening it's mouth. It is doing all the things the other chicks are doing in the brooder: eating, pooping, dozing off, drinking, whatever, but while constantly screaming, lol. If it's not screaming it's just making a stream of low grade noise. When I pick it up the room is almost totally silent and it's bizarre.
I guess you’re its momma now...

I guess you’re its momma now...
I almost wonder if it's just that attached. It is one of the ones that chases my hand every time when I put it in the brooder. It's confused by the act of being picked up but once it's held it goes to sleep almost immediately, every time. This happens when my husband picks it up, too, so it's not just me exclusively. It's about 10 AM this monday morning and the little sprout is still singing chicken death metal.

I almost wonder if it's just that attached. It is one of the ones that chases my hand every time when I put it in the brooder. It's confused by the act of being picked up but once it's held it goes to sleep almost immediately, every time. This happens when my husband picks it up, too, so it's not just me exclusively. It's about 10 AM this monday morning and the little sprout is still singing chicken death metal.
Thanks for updating and actually completing the post. I know this is like 6 months old, but I’m where you were now 🤣. I’m on day 2 so I have what seems like forever to go. I’ve got some wobbly air cells and maybe 2 they are very wobbly. 12 are solid and stable. There are just too many decisions to make.

Back
Top Bottom