~Shipped Egg Early Spring Hatch-a-Long~

I usually get one every other day, but every so often I can get 1 a day for a small period of time.

Ya so that's true as some one said there's lay only about 6 months of the year with an egg about every other day
A hen who only lays every other day then takes a 6 month break produces 91.3125 eggs per year, less when that hen fails to lay while she is going broody, is broody, or she is recovering from her broodiness. But said hen still eats 365.25 days per year. The money spent is your money, and so are the eggs your hens give you. The total egg production for such a hen is therefor reduced to about 80 eggs per year. So we are now back to the number of eggs a hen was expected to lay at the time of the Civil War, 80 eggs.

Unfortunately all hens of this type will go on vacation at the same time of year, (Fall and Winter) so you will also be largely eggless for 6 months at a time.

I can get you some American Game eggs but before you order remember that they on average will lay fewer than 80 eggs, on average maybe 4 dozen eggs and sometimes fewer eggs per year.
This is one of the reasons that your Great Grand-mother nagged your Great Grand-daddy until he auctioned off the farm, sold the family horse to the glue factory, and moved your ancestors to the city where they found: a steady payday, running water, electricity, paved streets, grocery stores, better health care, steam heat, and a higher standard of living than what was available to farm families 100 to 150 years ago.

I have candled and it looks like I still have 4 going strong. Unfortunately, one of the 4 has a saddle air sac. I don't have much experience with this situation. I'm sure the hatch rate on those isn't good?

I Think I need help. Something weird is going on? I started out with 8 fertile eggs, and I keep getting 1 death every other day. I'm now down to 4. It's really uncommon for embryos to quit in the middle of incubation. The temps and humidities haven't wavered at all either? I've been at a solid 99.3-99.6 for 2 weeks. Why are they dying so quickly? The incubator is sparkly clean too?? (ps: i candle my eggs every night before bed, but I don't pick them up. I just leave them where they are and shine the light quickly just to check)

Last edited:

Not doing too bad for shipped eggs so far started off with 40 BRs and have 34 developing plus a few light brahmas of my own

I also have 40+ silkie eggs due to arrive this week. And started getting eggs from my 8 silkies that I traded for a young peacock. 5 hens and 3 roosters

I'm a little worried about my eggs!
The incubation started off great, 8 eggs out of 12 began developing. About every other day I've been having quitters! I'm used to having quitters between days 1-5, but having so many quitters between days 6-18 is strange. My temperature and humidity have been perfect, no spikes during the entire process. I don't know what's wrong
hit.gif
Advice??
Today is day 16 and I'm down to 3 viable eggs. What causes so many quitters like this?

I'm a little worried about my eggs!
The incubation started off great, 8 eggs out of 12 began developing. About every other day I've been having quitters! I'm used to having quitters between days 1-5, but having so many quitters between days 6-18 is strange. My temperature and humidity have been perfect, no spikes during the entire process. I don't know what's wrong :hit Advice??
Today is day 16 and I'm down to 3 viable eggs. What causes so many quitters like this?

I traded goose eggs for a dozen chicken eggs.....one is growing the rest werent even fertile or its from the serverly damaged aircells.....this is why I will not pay for shipped eggs.

Well I am down to one cream Legbar egg from the 20 I bought online. It it goes OK, it should hatch next Friday along with the other two EE.
The turkey eggs are looking good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom