shipped eggs hatch rate?

I only bought a 20lb bag because it says to go to their grower/finisher @ 10 weeks. I was hoping to get a starter/grower that was good all the way up to layer feed but oh well..

Now I just need to figure out some sort of protection from all the Cooper's hawks
hide.gif

Following in the hopes that you share your hatch rate.

I ordered one dozen fertilized eggs off eBay. They traveled approximately 800 miles. 16 were sent. None were broken. 9 arrived with big end up, 5 were packaged on their sides and 2 was packaged upside down. 6 had decent air cells, 10 had detached air cells.

I let 8 eggs settle for about 10 hours before putting them under my broody hen on 4/6. The remaining 8 eggs were allowed to settle for about 30 hours before being placed in an incubator on 4/7. So, my hatches should be about a week behind yours.

How far were yours shipped from?

My eggs came all the way from Illinois to Southern Ca. It was two day shipping and they sat in my bedroom from 1pm until 7pm when I got home from work. I unwrapped and stuck them directly under my hens. I will definitely post the results with plenty of pics. Hatch date is the 20th but I probably wont be able to get pics up until the following Sunday do to being stuck in the good 'ol salt mines.
jumpy.gif

My eggs came all the way from Illinois to Southern Ca. It was two day shipping and they sat in my bedroom from 1pm until 7pm when I got home from work. I unwrapped and stuck them directly under my hens. I will definitely post the results with plenty of pics. Hatch date is the 20th but I probably wont be able to get pics up until the following Sunday do to being stuck in the good 'ol salt mines.
jumpy.gif

Wow! Your eggs did travel far. What is that, about 2,000 miles?

You can check on this website for advice about Coopers Hawk if you have not done so already. Typically, we have just kept our birds locked up for about a week and the hawk eventually moves on.

The Coopers Hawks around here are very active. I watch the crows bully them in the sky all the time. I'm on the edge of town. There's enough people to say that I live in the city but to the East and to the South is just wide open desert with rabbits, squirrels, snakes, field mice and all kinds of wild birds for the hawks to eat. They don't move on lol

I'm surprised that I still haven't had a problem with Coyotes at the East fence. Of course I built the coop in the inner fence all the way against to the West closest to my only next door neighbor
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom