shipped eggs hatch rate?

Just curious why you would think this. Of course if you have a less than stellar incubator I would understand, but assuming you have a good incubator, that is the way I would go. I would never give an expensive shipped egg to a broody. Actually I'm not crazy over shipping eggs anyway, but my rate with my own eggs is much better than my broodies' rates.
Sometimes I'll let them hatch their own, but if I don't have anyone broody at the time or in the case of the eggs I'm saving now, the mothers aren't a broody breed and I'm anxious for chicks. Plus I can mix and match which eggs I'm putting in the incubator. And I can adjust for the hatch date I want.
My rate with my own eggs is close to 100%. My broodies' rates are in the 50+ per cent. A big difference.

Just like with so many other things, everyone has their opinion as to what works best for them. My broody is quite experienced and has a good hatch rate, but I also did not want to leave everything up to her, just in case something went wrong. Likewise, I did not want to leave everything up to the incubator either, just in case something went wrong on that end. Hence, I set half of my shipped eggs under the broody and half in the incubator. (My own version of "Never put all your eggs in one basket.") I also equally divided the eggs that arrived with good air cells, and the eggs that arrived with detached air cells, between the two to keep things "fair". I'm anxious to see which does better in my little experiment... the broody or the 'bator. Only time will tell, but since they are shipped eggs, I'm trying not to get my hopes up!

Whatever way you choose to hatch, good luck!

I wish I would have checked the air cells when I received my eggs. I was just too anxious and stuck them straight under my hens
big_smile.png

I wish I would have checked the air cells when I received my eggs. I was just too anxious and stuck them straight under my hens
big_smile.png

One of the big factors with shipped eggs is the condition of the air cell. A majority are somewhat damaged if not completely ruptured or loose due to jiggling. Eggs that spend more time on trucks and less on airplanes seem to be the worse.

The reason for candling when you get them is to determine how best to incubate them. If the cells are normal, they will be almost as good as any other egg under a broody. If the cells are damaged, it is better to incubate them upright with gentle tilting back and forth instead of being rolled.

There is a possibility for difficult hatching if the air cells were damaged. The cells may be too much down the side or oddly shaped. I would just try to keep a close eye on the hatching without disturbing the hens. Easier said than done, I know!

Not to make you worry more...just a heads up.
wink.png

I buy a lot of shipped eggs every year. From all over the country. And I've had hatch rates from 80% to 0%. I've found its mostly due to how they are handled mostly. And partly how old the eggs are. Shipped eggs are always a gamble. I've spent a lot of money on eggs that never hatched. And bought egg pretty cheep that hatched great. But that's just the way it goes.

I vaugely remember from many years ago,that it is imperative to allow shipped eggs to settle. With air freighted eggs-a couple of days.I would think that surfaced shipping to be likewise especially if some distance.The extra couple of days wait is nothing in the scheme of things.(other bird species)

True True. Always let shipped eggs settle. I let mine set for at least 24 hours. Sometimes 36 hours if they came a long distance. Sometimes the air cells will reattach. Sometimes I incubate them for a couple days without turning them to let the air cells reattach too. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Back
Top Bottom