ABCFF

Hatching
May 1, 2021
Hello! First time hatching shipped eggs. Have hatched many of my own successfully. They were treated pretty rough, packed well, but really tossed around. 2 arrived broken and all the rest (24) either had fully detached, partly detached, or saddled air cells. I’m very excited to have 21 going into lockdown. Most air cells are all attached again!!! Yeah! Most saddles have greatly or fully improved. But when I candled them before lockdown the membrane inside the air cell is loose. At first I thought it was liquid inside the air cell but it’s only moves a little as a tilt it so that makes me believe them membrane is loose. all confirmed alive and moving. Proper moisture loss has been achieved. Has anyone experienced this before? How will the loose membranes effect hatch? Is there anything I should do to help them?

Hello! First time hatching shipped eggs. Have hatched many of my own successfully. They were treated pretty rough, packed well, but really tossed around. 2 arrived broken and all the rest (24) either had fully detached, partly detached, or saddled air cells. I’m very excited to have 21 going into lockdown. Most air cells are all attached again!!! Yeah! Most saddles have greatly or fully improved. But when I candled them before lockdown the membrane inside the air cell is loose. At first I thought it was liquid inside the air cell but it’s only moves a little as a tilt it so that makes me believe them membrane is loose. all confirmed alive and moving. Proper moisture loss has been achieved. Has anyone experienced this before? How will the loose membranes effect hatch? Is there anything I should do to help them?
I've never dealt with this but I know a couple people who can help.
@MGG @CluckNDoodle
I know y'all are hatchaholics!

It's a bit hard to picture how loose the membrane is. My last lot had 2 saddle shaped aircells and the membrane instead of being tight like a trampoline was all over the place (because it was detached from the shell far more).
One hatched with no issues the other didn't.

It's a bit hard to picture how loose the membrane is. My last lot had 2 saddle shaped aircells and the membrane instead of being tight like a trampoline was all over the place (because it was detached from the shell far more).
One hatched with no issues the other didn't.
Most are loos enough I thought it was liquid inside. When it tip candling the membrane will, on the worst ones, move about 3/4 of the way (so probably about an inch) to the top of the air cell.... will this make the membrane too “loose” for the internal pip?

I think you're referring to what I usually call "jiggly" air cells. It shouldn't effect hatch but I don't normally see that anymore by the time they're getting ready for hatch because they should have lost enough weight to not have that much fluid.

I think you're referring to what I usually call "jiggly" air cells. It shouldn't effect hatch but I don't normally see that anymore by the time they're getting ready for hatch because they should have lost enough weight to not have that much fluid.
They have lost 12%, which is in target for chicken eggs. So I’m not sure if it’s the same as what you have experienced or maybe this is just an extreme case?

It wouldn’t let me upload a video but maybe not pictures help. You can see when tips the membrane moves with it.

Attachments

• 8F74190B-2B1F-4927-AEAC-9CA86A7435BF.png
    8F74190B-2B1F-4927-AEAC-9CA86A7435BF.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 724251E3-9409-41CD-9AA2-8F6CF7810D81.png
    724251E3-9409-41CD-9AA2-8F6CF7810D81.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
It wouldn’t let me upload a video but maybe not pictures help. You can see when tips the membrane moves with it.

Yep, I call that jiggly air cell. The internal membrane is separated from the shell and external membrane, you're seeing that when you rotate it. I've never seen it that bad so close to the hatch, so it's definitely a severe case. As long as the internal membrane is still healthy the chick should be able to internally pip as if that hasn't even happened. Fingers crossed! :fl

Yep, I call that jiggly air cell. The internal membrane is separated from the shell and external membrane, you're seeing that when you rotate it. I've never seen it that bad so close to the hatch, so it's definitely a severe case. As long as the internal membrane is still healthy the chick should be able to internally pip as if that hasn't even happened. Fingers crossed!
I hope so! Thank you.

How did they do? I had one like this recently. It did not hatch. I kept all these shipped eggs upright for the whole incubation then laid them down to hatch at 19 days and only 2 out of 7 hatched. Now I’m thinking I should have kept them upright for hatch.

Back
Top Bottom