shipped eggs question

TamiHunter: Were your air cells loose or jiggly before incubating? If not, then no worries! Letting them rest longer before incubating and then not turning for the first few days is just to help those with air cell problems to restabilize. If the air cells looked ok before incubating, then resting 12 hours is probably sufficient.

dstinett: Yeah, I would turn the turner off so they can have time to reattach. If they are continually turning and shifting in there, the air cells won't have a chance to stabilize. This is just from all the advice I have gotten and read about bad air cells. It's also really important for eggs to be turned the first week of incubation, so it's kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. So hard to know the right thing to do sometimes. :/

TamiHunter: Were your air cells loose or jiggly before incubating? If not, then no worries! Letting them rest longer before incubating and then not turning for the first few days is just to help those with air cell problems to restabilize. If the air cells looked ok before incubating, then resting 12 hours is probably sufficient.

dstinett: Yeah, I would turn the turner off so they can have time to reattach. If they are continually turning and shifting in there, the air cells won't have a chance to stabilize. This is just from all the advice I have gotten and read about bad air cells. It's also really important for eggs to be turned the first week of incubation, so it's kind of a catch 22 if you ask me. So hard to know the right thing to do sometimes. :/

A couple of them were iffy..I will candle them tonight and see what's going on. If I get no fuzzy butts outta this I will at least have come out with more knowledge on incubating shipped eggs. :)

A couple of them were iffy..I will candle them tonight and see what's going on. If I get no fuzzy butts outta this I will at least have come out with more knowledge on incubating shipped eggs. :)
My thoughts exactly. I knew the risks but I would not rest til I tried

I never had good luck with shipped eggs! About 20 percent hatch. At least I get a few new birds from a different bloodline!

I found a nest of eggs in a pile of leaves. They were quite cold. I let them come to room temp and put in bator with Silkie eggs. I can't believe some of them have veins too. It was 18 degrees the day I found them. We shall see

Back
Top Bottom