Shipped eggs via chick packaging

luckydux

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
ARKANSAWWW!!
I'm sure this is on the forum somewhere but I can't find it. Is it possible to ship hatching eggs in a box as if they were live chicks? If so what are the cons?
Seems like the way to go so I'm curious what I'm missing

Dumb question i guess
idunno.gif

Folks ship hatching eggs all the time and arrive at their destination in good shape. Eggs are usually cheaper but the only thing is that there is no guarantee that they will hatch. Shipping is hard on eggs but you can be successful. I have had many great hatches from shipped eggs. :thumbsup

Thanks ya'll but I'm still missing something on this matter. It just seems that the majority are willing to tolerate a poor hatch rate with shipped eggs and I'm curious why? The shipper wouldn't have to ship express so I don't see a big price difference. More bang for my buck is more efficient and that's what I'm after.

Do the postal workers toss around boxes with living chicks inside?
Do they toss around boxes marked fragile which possibly contain eggs?

If sub par hatch rates are primarily caused by poor packing then that's another matter altogether.

Last edited:
Do I understand you to mean to tell the post office that you are shipping live chicks, when what's in the box is actually eggs - in the hope for gentler handling? If so, I see what you mean. However, my PO generally complains (with a smile) about the noise coming out of boxes of live chicks. My PO, at least, in a panic that they were all doa, would probably open the box. ;)

That is exactly what I'm saying. I'm not trying to fool the PO, I'd tell them they were actually eggs if they cared to know.
I can see a problem to the plan already with what you said about them opening the box. Someone might get upset that there wasn't really any fury critters in the box to play with and take it out on the box...maybe not :)

Back
Top Bottom