Shipped Hatching Eggs, Any Advice??

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
Hey everyone! Hope ya'll are having a great Tuesday. My friend ordered me 12 Orpington hatching eggs for my birthday and she got an update that they are coming today! I will head by her house to pick them up as soon as she texts me. I have hatched two batches of shipped eggs before and had a 20% hatch rate on one, 50% on the other. Not bad for shipped eggs! I was just wondering if anyone had tips that might increase the hatch rate? How long should i let them settle before placing them in my incubator? Should I let them settle pointy side up or vice versa? How often should I turn them once they're in the incubator? Thanks guys!

Hey everyone! Hope ya'll are having a great Tuesday. My friend ordered me 12 Orpington hatching eggs for my birthday and she got an update that they are coming today! I will head by her house to pick them up as soon as she texts me. I have hatched two batches of shipped eggs before and had a 20% hatch rate on one, 50% on the other. Not bad for shipped eggs! I was just wondering if anyone had tips that might increase the hatch rate? How long should i let them settle before placing them in my incubator? Should I let them settle pointy side up or vice versa? How often should I turn them once they're in the incubator? Thanks guys!
Hatching Eggs 101 by @Sally Sunshine has a section on shipped eggs.

The Great Egg Shipping Experiment

Curious how your eggs fared? Incubation method used? Hatch rate? I am hatching shipped eggs and still debating best way to go about it. Thanks!:)

I got 6 out of 11! (One was cracked upon arrival). 1 also needed helped out. They are all doing well now! I had the temp at 37.5 degrees Celsius. I don't have a hygrometer to measure humidity, but I kept the water level at the height the incubator manual listed. I hand turned until day 9 or 10, and at that point I had culled enough eggs that I could fit them in the auto turner. I stopped turning 3 days early, 1 hatched on day 20, the rest on day 21. The air cells were for the most part pretty good. 2 eggs had awful air cells, but those embryos ended up quitting at day 10 or so. Not bad for shipped eggs!

Back
Top Bottom