Shipping chickens via Delta Airlines?

Wimberleytexaschick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Wimberley, Texas
Has anyone out there shipped chickens via Delta Airlines? I am looking to hear your experience and the details please! Did you get a health certificate, use a dog crate, etc.??? I know it costs more than USPS, but would be a direct flight for some very valuable birds and worth it...I think...Thank you for your help.

Delta has a pet line where you can call and get information directly from their specialized pet shipping department. I would call them and get information directly from them. Then you are getting good information instead of someone's best guess.

I've shipped dogs with Delta. They go in an airline approved dog crate and they get delivered to the cargo area, not the passenger area. At the other end, they get picked up at the cargo area.

When they are dropped off, the crate has to be inspected. I have to take the dog out. I don't know how you would do that with birds, except to maybe take the crate and the birds separately and place them into their shipping crate after it has been checked for explosives. I've put 2 crates mouth to mouth to move birds from one to the other and that worked well.

Also, I suggest that you phone your state veterinarian to see if your state has any requirements for bringing them in.

I've not shipped birds, but Oregon Blues answer reminded me of a story. I was shipping my dog and they made me take him out of his crate to inspect it, but then the TSA proceeded to pat the dog down, to see if he was packing I guess! Good thing the dog was a friendly sort.

Best wishes transporting your birds!

Back
Top Bottom