Shipping chicks

philter4

Songster
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
Placerville CA
Does anyone know about shipping 2 or 3 week old chicks? I have shipped eggs and adult birds, but can the chicks go without water or food for the 24 hours they could be in transit? How do the hatcheries do it? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I've never shipped any birds, but I've read that alot of people put fruit in with them. I used to work at a petstore and all of the animals had fruit in their shipping boxes (including the parrots and budgies). I don't think it would be good to ship older birds without something to hydrate them. Day old chicks take up to 3 days to absorb their yolks, which is why they don't need food or water. I'm sure someone with some more wisdom will be along shortly, good luck!

Thanks for the fruit idea, I ship reptiles and insects with fruit in the box, and I know about day old chicks, but these turned a week old yesterday and the buyer wants them next week. I think I am going to tell him with the temps and the holiday I have to wait, but still at 3 weeks old what can or can't they handle?

If they are not day old chicks, then then must weigh 6 oz each in order to ship them. I currently have some large fowl chicks that are 3 weeks old and they weigh about 3 oz each.

I wouldn't even attempt to ship them until they are 6-8 weeks old and fully feathered. Here is the link to the USPS Mailable Live Animals page

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c5_007.htm#ep198258

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom