shipping methods :) - quick question from a shipper/receiver of eggs

ScaredOfShadows

Songster
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Semora NC - on the VA line
Hey guys okay I got a quick question from those of you who practice shipping your own eggs out... Do you only ship flat rate boxes like I have been, or do you weigh and ship your boxes with the USPS??? Which is cheaper? I want to be able to offer those who get my eggs the best value, and also the less sting on my pocket when I do egg trains and trades with folks....

Any opinions would be AWESOME!
smile.png

Priority mail is your best bet.

It is usually 2-3 day ship, and you can REALLY pack the eggies in the large boxes.

I usually weigh the eggs and do it that way and its usually $3 less or cheaper to ship. I use the 7x7x7 boxes for up to 8-10 bantam (silkie) eggs. I was told the smaller boxes get stacked last, so they have less of a change of being crushed. I've never had any problems or complaints about my packing.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sundown used bubble wrap around each egg and shredded paper to fill the box. It really was an excellent packing job.
big_smile.png

I put one big piece of bubble wrap on the bottom of the box enough so it will crunch up around all the sides and the bottom...then I crumple up ALOT of newspaper into loose balls...Then I wrap each egg in bubble wrap and tape together the bubble wrap...pack them all in the middle of the box together point down, (i mark the bubble wrap so i know which side is down - lol ) and then add more newspaper as needed to make it all nice and snug and add on top with another piece of bubble wrap. my box is packed securely and just shy of tight, alllowing as little room as possible for the eggs to move.

Quote:
I'm asking if priority flat rate boxes or weighed boxes are cheaper...not if standard, priority, or express is better. lol. I use priority reguardless.
smile.png

I have been using priority medium sized flat rates which are 10.65 every time...but if I only have 1 dozen banty eggs its ALOT of room and package material (just newspaper) to fill up the extra space...now if it was 2 dozen I would definately just got for the med. flat rate... I am just wondering which way tends to be cheaper, just sticking with a flat rate or next time taking it and weighing it and shipping them out?

Quote:
I'm asking if priority flat rate boxes or weighed boxes are cheaper...not if standard, priority, or express is better. lol. I use priority reguardless.
smile.png

I have been using priority medium sized flat rates which are 10.65 every time...but if I only have 1 dozen banty eggs its ALOT of room and package material (just newspaper) to fill up the extra space...now if it was 2 dozen I would definately just got for the med. flat rate... I am just wondering which way tends to be cheaper, just sticking with a flat rate or next time taking it and weighing it and shipping them out?

I thought Sundown answered that when she said that weighing is usually $3 cheaper. Unless you are looking for something different.

Last edited:
It all depends on how many I am shipping. I double box, if just a 1/2 or dozen I usually can do cheaper on regular priority. Of course the PO is making it harder to get regular priority boxes, and I suspect at some point those will "go away" and only flat rate and regional rate will be available.

Back
Top Bottom