Shoot the bird?

Sure, you can shoot 'em. My grandpa used to do that whenever one flew over the fence and he couldn't catch it. He also dispatched his rabbits with a .22. If you're a good shot, and have plenty of experience with firearms, the chances of shooting yourself in the foot are slim.

why not put the bird in a cone before you pull the trigger,I have shot several birds with no bad experiences,I remember when I was a kid dad would dispatch a chicken with a 22 and with bad results but that was the accepted method back then,everyone did it that way if they didn,t have them in hand from the start,he shot the bird and the kids would run it down,no matter how you do the deed,may it be shooting,wringing the neck,snapping the neck,chopping,or biting the head off you will have a bad experience at least once,,and for someone to shoot their window out trying to shoot a chicken?lord help the neighbors
gig.gif

I use a 5 foot 2x6 board with 2 nails about 1.5 inches apart. I place the neck of the bird just behind the head between the nails and slightly pull the feet, this keeps the bird in place, I unholster my .22 revolver and place the barrel at the base of the skull and bless the chicken and thank him for his life. and pull the trigger. then I holster my weapon and pull on the feet tighter and use my free hand to hold the wings. the bird is instantly dead and flops for a mere 20 seconds after the shot. holding the wings and pulling the feet keep the bird pretty still and causes little blood spatter. I then hang the bird by its feet and cut the throat with a razor. let it bleed out and then dunk it in hot water for 45 seconds. very easy to pluck out and work with. this may or may not suit you but works just peachy for me.

Dirt

Another thing to consider when using a .22 (sorry if it's already been mentioned.) Get some of the small game/pest rounds. Instead of a "bullet," they have a plastic chamber at the tip, filled with a bunch of tiny BB's. They have a range of only a few feet. I've found them to be completely worthless for almost everything BUT killing chickens and turkeys, but they work GREAT for that. At a range of about 2-3 feet, you will get a devastating head shot that will kill instantly, but you really don't have to worry about much beyond that. Obviously follow gun safety and know what's behind your target, but a regular .22 bullet has a range of up to a mile, which adds too much danger to butchering day. These lose most of their energy almost immediately. Unfortunately, they cost more than regular .22 rounds, but they work GREAT.

I agree jaku.I have used the pellet shells for close range snake mouse control,If I remember correctly the shot size is #12,I may stand corrected on this,It never crossed my mind to use it for dispatching chickens,,Great idea, and a lot safer than long rifle hollow point bullets although safety is the main factor in any situation using a firearm

I can see shooting a stray bird just like you would with grouse or other wild birds (one arrow and the head pops off). I have only done the hanging the bird upside down with both feet in their own slip knot. Stretch the birds neck and upper body inside of my hanging 5 gallon plastic bucket, hear a neck pop and sever both sides ( guinea hens). The blood will pulse down the knife direction and into the bucket. Keep steady tension because in about 10 seconds, the flapping happens but is contained inside of the bucket. No messes and no broken bones

Last edited:
me and some of the, should i say gutsier people from my 4h club slaughtered 43 chickens with nothing but a knife. we basicaly just tied the birds feet with twine [this really helps, they feel more stable and supported i guess and don't struggle] carried them where the others couldn't see and while one person kneeled on the chicken and held the legs another held the head and sliced the neck. it helps if you only go halfway through the neck so that you can hold the head and bleed it out more efficiently. i'm no pro but i think that this is the quickest and cleanest method, shooting it seems like it may pulverize and bruise the meat and it just doesn't seem respectful to the bird [no offense meant to the people using this method, to each his own] and the bloodless necksnap technique can bruise or break the wings and wing meat.

Quote:
Wouldn't kneeling on the chicken squash it?

Quote:
The folks who shoot them, shoot them in the head, so unless you're planning to eat the head, this shouldn't be a problem. As far as I'm concerned, whatever kills the bird quickly is respectful.

Any method of dispatching the bird requires the bird be contained, restrained, or hung upside down, or they will break wings and bruise the meat when they flap. That includes the way you do it, which is similar to what I do, only I hang mine upside down where they don't bang into anything when they flap.

Back
Top Bottom