Short-Leg × Short-Leg??

The short-leg gene is lethal, yes. If you breed a short-legged bird to another short legged bird, approximately 25% of the offspring will be nonviable as they will have inherited two copies of the gene. 50% of the offspring will have a single copy, and 25% will have normal legs. Most people prefer to breed short legged birds to long legged birds, as this results in a 50/50 split of birds with short legs and birds with long legs, and no risk of a double copy of the gene.

The short-leg gene is lethal, yes. If you breed a short-legged bird to another short legged bird, approximately 25% of the offspring will be nonviable as they will have inherited two copies of the gene. 50% of the offspring will have a single copy, and 25% will have normal legs. Most people prefer to breed short legged birds to long legged birds, as this results in a 50/50 split of birds with short legs and birds with long legs, and no risk of a double copy of the gene.

Most people prefer to breed short leg to short leg, as it produces fewer birds to do away with. The homozygous short legged birds don't hatch.

The short leg gene also referred to as the creeper gene is a recessive lethal gene.
No copy gives normal length legs. One copy gives the short legs but is not lethal. Two copies is lethal and embryos die in the shell.
As others said you can cross short leg with normal leg and get 50% short leg and 50% normal leg. Or cross short and short and get 50% short leg and 25% normal leg and 25% die in shell.
I can't say what most do cause idk what everyone is doing. Either way you get 50% with the short legs.
What they breed might be something you ask if buying eggs from someone. Nice to know if 25% of the eggs you're buying are not going to hatch.
When I raised Japanese bantams there were a lot of breeders that saw it as less throw away chicks when breeding short to short. A lot also though short to normal also threw some that were intermediate length instead of short while short to short always threw the shortest legs. I could never stantuate that myself.
For me the normal legs work in a breeding program quite well. I knew breeders that didn't want to feed them since they couldn't be shown but I didn't like the idea of throwing out half of everything I hatched or even a third If I had gone that route.
I bred in pairs trios or quads back then and i
used the best short leg with the best complimenting normal leg. I showed the short leg and produced them all from one normal leg parent that others would of thrown out.
You just have to decide what works best for you and your program.

Last edited:
The short leg gene also referred to as the creeper gene is a recessive lethal gene.
No copy gives normal length legs. One copy gives the short legs but is not lethal. Two copies is lethal and embryos die in the shell.

I know this post is old, but just in case anyone looks it up for info: this is not a recessive gene. It's a dominant double-lethal gene. Recessive genes don't express at all with only one copy. Dominant genes do.

Back
Top Bottom