Is the feather footed gene dominant?

CHICKENX2005

Songster
Feb 2, 2024
Just wondering is the feather footed gene dominant or recessive?
If a chicken had a feather footed parent and a clean legged parent. What are the chances of its chicks being feather footed?

If a chicken had a feather footed parent and a clean legged parent. What are the chances of its chicks being feather footed?
I don’t know about any of this but my one pullet hatched out a baby from my buff orpington the dad had feathered feet and the baby got feathered feet not sure if this helps!

I don't know if it's as straightforward as that. @pipdzipdnreadytogo had some valuable information on this topic when feathered feet came out of a clean legged pairing (with the exception of a single tiny feather on one leg of the pullet, that never grew back once it fell and she reached maturity)
IMG-7f22858ce363559f344ccb7b4ea89f26-V.jpg
IMG-d101fe3b47012a9bb0516127ab3e3b3e-V.jpg
20240310_125517.jpg

Last edited:
There are several genes for feathered feet. I've read of at least two that are dominant and one that is recessive.

As a practical matter, crossing a chicken with feathered feet to a chicken with clean feet will usually give chicks that have some foot feathering, but not as much as the feather-footed parent.

I got 4 Bielefelder chicks last May. They are a clean legged breed. One of the 4 has tiny little tufts between a few of her toes. Nothing on the shank.
IMG_4383.JPG

This picture is from when she was 3 months old. They're still there, just a bit bigger, but not longer.

Back
Top Bottom