Should a feeder be kept in the coop at night ?

AthenaT

Chirping
Mar 11, 2015
Port Richey Florida
when I tuck my "Krewe" in to bed just before dusk I make sure they have, full crops, plenty of clean water, oyster shell and a bit of a treat / snack that they can finish in 15 minutes, however, in the morning around 9 am when I let them out they act as if they are starving. I wanted to reduce the chance of vermin in the coop but if they need a feeder in the coop I will add one.

They do have a feeder, shell, fresh water available when out roaming the backyard all day and get 3 snacks a day as well

Last edited:
Rather than leaving a feeder in the coop all night an alternative would be to go out and let them out/feed them earlier in the morning - 9 am is well after it gets light.

yes that would be the best option...however since I work late nights and dont get to bed till 4:30 - 5 am it is just not a viable option....I am already running on about 5 maybe 6 hours sleep total (split) a day...another break in my sleep would kill me.

I hung a feeder in the coop last night ...dont want a automatic door due to predators...when I let them out my dogs stay with them as guards for a couple of hours so I can get a bit more sleep...Today they didnt seem so starved but they didnt really eat much from the feeder

Back
Top Bottom