Should I assist Call Duck egg hatching? Hatching at wrong end

Rubycon

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
Hi everyone! I need some advice!

We are hatching call ducks at have two eggs. One started to externally pip last night on the 27th day around 6pm. It is now 6pm and there hasn’t been much progress, but it’s still peeping away. I should also mention it is hatching from the wrong side of the egg-the pointy side. It hasn’t broken through the membrane right under the shell, it and it is a medium yellow color. Should I give it more time? I’m just worried because I go to work in 2 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_7246.jpeg
    IMG_7246.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 54
Oops, that should have said it is now 6am! I should also say that the humidity is at 81% since Saturday.

We are hatching call ducks at have two eggs. One started to externally pip last night on the 27th day around 6pm. It is now 6pm and there hasn’t been much progress, but it’s still peeping away. I should also mention it is hatching from the wrong side of the egg-the pointy side. It hasn’t broken through the membrane right under the shell, it and it is a medium yellow color. Should I give it more time? I’m just worried because I go to work in 2 hours.
Is that pip on the big end or narrow end of the egg?
Ducks can take days to hatch so give it a little more time
If the shell is cracked, the membrane is pierced

Thank you! It’s at the pointy end- that is the only reason I’m concerned. We’ve hatched out a lot of chicken eggs very successfully and this is our first duck egg hatch and having one pip the wrong end. The vent is already open- I was going by the chart on the metzer’s website for hatching duck eggs. I can definitely get it down lower if I need to.

Last edited:
Thank you! It’s at the pointy end- that is the only reason I’m concerned. We’ve hatched out a lot of chicken eggs very successfully and this is our first duck egg hatch and having one pip the wrong end. The vent is already open- I was going by the chart on the metzer’s website for hatching duck eggs. I can definitely get it down lower if I need to.
I'd try and get the humidity down closer to 70

Here's the thing. A pip outside of the air cell (on the pointy end) is the equivalent of both an internal and external pip, so it can be up to or over 48 hours for the duckling to be ready to hatch and pop out. Currently she'll be absorbing the yolk

Most would be able to hatch themsleves even from a malposition. However since this is a call, it may need help, they quite commonly do.
Once it's been over 24 hours since she pipped, if there's no progress at all, widen the pip into a hole just under the size of a dime, no bigger than that. Just so you can see her beak and monitor her better. If you accidently catch a vein, hold a dry paper towel to the bleed until it stops. That's really important, you'd have to stop the bleeding before putting her back in the incubator. Then leave her to continue absorbing. Let me know once you get to this point, including photos if you can, and I can talk you through the next steps.
Remember, only widen the pip after its been over 24 hours. And don't go any further

I'll also attach the Assisted hatching article which is super helpful to read through. It will just explain malpositions and why its important to go slowly when helping. Just keep in mind that ducklings hatch slower than chicks so the time frame is a little off.

For the second egg, is there any bruising on it? Dark patches?

Keep an eye open for this, as it could indicate another malposition.
In the case of a bruise, the duckling is unable to get through the shell and would need assistance in the form of an air hole.
If you see any new dark patches on the shell, attach a picture and I'll let you know how to help it

@BelovedBirds Thank you SO much for all the info and help! You have made me much less panicked:D So right before I left for work I checked on the egg and there was another small chunk of shell pecked off and laying on the bottom. Also within that half hour, the second egg has now pipped and is at the correct end. I didn't see any signs of bruising.

@BelovedBirds Thank you SO much for all the info and help! You have made me much less panicked:D So right before I left for work I checked on the egg and there was another small chunk of shell pecked off and laying on the bottom. Also within that half hour, the second egg has now pipped and is at the correct end. I didn't see any signs of bruising.
Great update! Fingers crossed they're able to complete hatch all by themselves
Keep me posted if you can!

Back
Top Bottom