Should I be worried for my safety?

So, I have a bred jersey heifer that I'm worried about. I recently purchased her, and she's been an amazing girl. She's super friendly, likes being petted, likes being brushed, and has a great attitude. I've been spending soooo much time with her. Yesterday I started noticing she kept bellowing every single time I would leave the barn. Of course I thought she was scared or lonely and I would go pet her, talk to her, and comfort her. I brushed her for a few hours today, and spent a lot of time with her. I then made dinner, and played with my kids.....the entire time she was bellowing. I went back out and brought a bucket of fresh water and petted her for a little bit.....when I turned to walk out of the stall she kind of stood on her hind legs. I'm not sure what she was doing but it really did make me nervous to be honest. She never touched me or hurt me but I turned around and stuck my hand out. It happens so fast that I'm wondering if anybody knows if she was just happy or excited? Was she trying to mount me?
Just so you know, when cows are in heat they bellow, they are restless, and they may try to mount you. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that your heifer is open, meaning not pregnant. If she calms down in a couple days and then acts like this again in 18 to 21 days, you will know for sure. Another thing you can look for is a slight bloody discharge or some blood on the tail. This discharge will show up a couple days after the end of heat. It is slight, so you may not see it.

Just so you know, when cows are in heat they bellow, they are restless, and they may try to mount you. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that your heifer is open, meaning not pregnant. If she calms down in a couple days and then acts like this again in 18 to 21 days, you will know for sure. Another thing you can look for is a slight bloody discharge or some blood on the tail. This discharge will show up a couple days after the end of heat. It is slight, so you may not see it.
Hmm that will be upsetting if she's not bred. She's suppose to be due June 10th. I thought maybe the bellowing was because it's a new phone for her. She's fine when I'm in the barn, not bellowing. I wish I knew if she was trying to mount me, or if she just hopped up out of excitement. So they hop up on their hind legs out of happiness?

It sounds to me like she was in heat. When cows are in heat they mount other cows and stand to be mounted by other cows. This is called bulling. Since there was no other cow around and she evidently views you as a herdmate, you were the target. Watch yourself and don't turn your back on her. Cows are big and they can injure you even though that is not their intent.
I hope she's not in heat. I bought a bred heifer that's suppose to be due June 10th. I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm definitely more alert around her now. She's a very sweet girl, but I'm not taking the chance. She's been bellowing yesterday and today. I thought maybe because I just got her that she was crying for her old friends.

I only raised one steer, my brother's project that he gave me, like the 14 chickens he ordered that ended up at my house :he I was thinking she wanted to play but then again I don't know cattle. Yup, you need to cut back on the attention, you're expecting another so she'll have company. Feed & water, less TLC ... Don't think it's safe to let her follow you unless you got eyes behind you.

res & cassie seem to know cattle, it's best they advise you. Just be careful, the steer I had loved running at me but would stop about 5' from me. I'd yell a loud, firm HEY, my brother ended up tethering him to a long run for my safety. He would not have hurt me intentionally but he could have not knowing his strength. It was funny when the guys went to load him, they couldn't get to the lead. I walked up, undid it and loaded him on the trailer. Knew where they were taking him, cried all the way home & told my brother to loose my number:hit
I'll be the first to admit I was treating her like a pet dog. I thought loving her would be the best thing to do to build a relationship with her.

I hope she's not in heat. I bought a bred heifer that's suppose to be due June 10th. I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm definitely more alert around her now. She's a very sweet girl, but I'm not taking the chance. She's been bellowing yesterday and today. I thought maybe because I just got her that she was crying for her old friends.

Others may disagree but really feel she's bellowing for your attention. My steer did that when ever I arrived for feeding & came a running.

I'll be the first to admit I was treating her like a pet dog. I thought loving her would be the best thing to do to build a relationship with her.

Hear you and it's hard not to, they are so lovable :love Hopefully once you get the other one, she'll have company and you won't dote on her so much. I hope she's pregnant too, do you have a guarantee? If she is and does have her calf, hard as it's going to be, refrain from too much TLC :rolleyes: Easier said than done, I know :oops:

Hmm that will be upsetting if she's not bred. She's suppose to be due June 10th. I thought maybe the bellowing was because it's a new phone for her. She's fine when I'm in the barn, not bellowing. I wish I knew if she was trying to mount me, or if she just hopped up out of excitement. So they hop up on their hind legs out of happiness?
Look. I can be wrong about her being open. Obviously, I haven't seen the cow. However, mark down the day she was bellowing. If she shuts up and then starts again in 18 days or so, chances are she is in heat. If she bawls every day, then she is bawling for a different reason. None of my cows ever hopped on their hind legs because they were glad to see me, but that doesn't mean yours doesn't. Each one is an individual.

There's friendly, and there's dangerous behavior, and she's become dangerous. We handle our cattle, but expect respect at the same time, always. Can you get help from someone local for advice about handling her? An ox drover, or a person who shows cattle, so you and she can get along safely. Before you are injured!!!
Pregnant, open, in heat, or whatever, she needs to be polite and safe to be around.
Mary

Look. I can be wrong about her being open. Obviously, I haven't seen the cow. However, mark down the day she was bellowing. If she shuts up and then starts again in 18 days or so, chances are she is in heat. If she bawls every day, then she is bawling for a different reason. None of my cows ever hopped on their hind legs because they were glad to see me, but that doesn't mean yours doesn't. Each one is an individual.
Thanks. I have recorded the date. She's calmed down a lot today, much more than yesterday as far as the bellowing. I'll wait the 18 days and see if this happens again.

There's friendly, and there's dangerous behavior, and she's become dangerous. We handle our cattle, but expect respect at the same time, always. Can you get help from someone local for advice about handling her? An ox drover, or a person who shows cattle, so you and she can get along safely. Before you are injured!!!
Pregnant, open, in heat, or whatever, she needs to be polite and safe to be around.
Mary
I agree. In her defense she hopped up, but never jumped on me. I didn't even move. She just jumped up and back down. It scared me though for sure. I do have a lot of people around here that can help me with safe cattle handling. I have a bunch of Amish dairy farmers, cattle farmers, and friends. I will definitely ask for some help and advice.

Others may disagree but really feel she's bellowing for your attention. My steer did that when ever I arrived for feeding & came a running.

Hear you and it's hard not to, they are so lovable :love Hopefully once you get the other one, she'll have company and you won't dote on her so much. I hope she's pregnant too, do you have a guarantee? If she is and does have her calf, hard as it's going to be, refrain from too much TLC :rolleyes: Easier said than done, I know :oops:
The farmer I purchased them from said they were both bred. It will definitely be hard to not be so lovable with her, but I definitely Italy can if it's going to turn into a dominance issue. I need to be safe about this. What's hard is because it's not straight and cut, and I don't really know if I'm justs making excuses for her or exaggerating what happened. I wish I knew if she was just excited or if she planed to mount me when I turned a little. I would feel a lot better about knowing.

Back
Top Bottom