Should I build a coop using this existing structure if so, how?

snakemaster307

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 2, 2016
Australia
Hey everyone, I recently reserved my first chicks and will be getting them in May. I am still debating how to build our coop. What we are thinking now is building it under our deck [pictures below] and walling in half of it with a cement floor. we will be getting 7 chicks and we are wondering if this would work we will add more just for the basic foundation.

Any help appreciated,
-Brady

Will they get dripped on when it rains and leaks through the deck above? Also, you'll want to add some hardware cloth around the bottom section of the lattice, if not cover all of it. The bottom at a minimum though. Chicks would walk right on out through the lattice.

It is pretty big, I don't have the dimensions now but I could measure tomorrow. As for the run, it is my plan to turn the other half into one for when I can't watch them but when I'm home I will let them out into the yard [There is a forest behind our house so lots of predators]

Will they get dripped on when it rains and leaks through the deck above? Also, you'll want to add some hardware cloth around the bottom section of the lattice, if not cover all of it. The bottom at a minimum though. Chicks would walk right on out through the lattice.
I will be building a coop inside it with a coop and roofing separate i'm just using the structure for almost a foundation, I plan on building wooden plank walls and a corrugated metal roof. As for the lattice if we go with this idea we will replace it with hardware cloth.

You'll be getting a lot of noise, dust and smells, not to mention flies, if you keep chickens down there in the traditional manner. Their feed could also attract mice and other animals to your home, not to mention roaches.

You'll be getting a lot of noise, dust and smells, not to mention flies, if you keep chickens down there in the traditional manner. Their feed could also attract mice and other animals to your home, not to mention roaches.
Ewe
sickbyc.gif

Gary

X2.

Your plan to use the area under your deck is one of those things that in theory looks good, but once implemented, is something you would regret. Do a search on BYC for "smelly run", "muddy run", "my coop stinks", "flies", "rats", etc. then read about the problems folks have then ask yourself if you want that going on under your deck. It could probably be done, and has been done, but it would be high maintenance to keep absolutely clean, and would want it to be small scale on the order of 3 or 4 birds or less.

BTW, what side of the house is this deck on? Anything but open to the winter sun would be an instant DQ for me.

Do you have other options?

Back
Top Bottom