Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I found a nest in the back of the coop with two eggs in it. I don’t think it’s older than Wednesday. I check back there often because... well, chickens! :lol:
They can be so sneaky!

Speaking of sneaky, a neighbor called to report a probable coyote siting near the area up by the new pullets. :barnie
He wasn't 100% sure what he saw, but the pullets were yelling at the time. We've been here for 20 yrs and no one has ever reported a coyote down in the neighborhood. Bobcats, mtn lions, foxes, and other usual suspects.

Does anyone know if coyotes will climb a 6' fence? I know it won't stop the other predators around, but I don't worry as much since everyone is locked up at night. Coyote during the day could really cramp our happy hen lifestyle.

I am deciding on getting pullets from tsc or hatching Arkansas blue egg layers and pita pintas

It is a tough one! Getting the pullets will get eggs faster but the other breeds are very nice.
Tough decision. The AK Blues and especially the PPs are so pretty. PPs lay brown eggs?

I wonder if they are bred a bit better and you won't run into all the reproductive problems the hatchery hens tend to have.

You know you want to hatch. :D

Tough decision. The AK Blues and especially the PPs are so pretty. PPs lay brown eggs?

I wonder if they are bred a bit better and you won't run into all the reproductive problems the hatchery hens tend to have.

You know you want to hatch. :D
I have not had reproductive problems with those two breeds. I have had them with golden comets from a hatchery for sure.

Good point!

They can be so sneaky!

Speaking of sneaky, a neighbor called to report a probable coyote siting near the area up by the new pullets. :barnie
He wasn't 100% sure what he saw, but the pullets were yelling at the time. We've been here for 20 yrs and no one has ever reported a coyote down in the neighborhood. Bobcats, mtn lions, foxes, and other usual suspects.

Does anyone know if coyotes will climb a 6' fence? I know it won't stop the other predators around, but I don't worry as much since everyone is locked up at night. Coyote during the day could really cramp our happy hen lifestyle.
Foxes can climb better than coyotes. Hopefully the coyotes will move on from your area

Guess what?
D3FE0C4D-4DC6-4439-803A-F918607F3221.gif D3FE0C4D-4DC6-4439-803A-F918607F3221.gif D3FE0C4D-4DC6-4439-803A-F918607F3221.gif D3FE0C4D-4DC6-4439-803A-F918607F3221.gif D3FE0C4D-4DC6-4439-803A-F918607F3221.gif and four of them were SPR! I have at least 6/8 girls laying! :woot Two SPR are the possible holdouts.

We are happy about it, especially since I took 2 dozen over to my dad today. He likes his eggs!
Plenty left for us.

Does Duckling help with the collecting?
Is she doing online school?
She does all of the collecting, and most feeding and watering. She also sorts the egg cartons. :lol: You know, color and size.

Back
Top Bottom