Should I buy eggs or wait it out?

I'm working on Thanksgiving... but it shouldn't be a long day (I hope) my oven is broken, pumps carbon monoxide out like crazy (good thing I have good batteries in the CM detector!), need a new lower burner, but the stovetop and the broiler still work fine, so... I'm treating myself to a great big juicy porterhouse steak, sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, and my crazy salad that has everything you can think of to put in salad... just me and the critters this year...ahhh peace and quiet, and yet the same overstuffed sleepy gluttonous feeling...

MC, your food looks so good... leave the sauce off til a few hours before serving (IMO) doesn't look like you've forgotten anything... got cranberry sauce???

(I remember Drakes Cakes... vaguely...
hit.gif
)

Last edited:
No one likes cranberry sauce. My mother asked the same question. She had 7 kids, and not one of us eats it. Ya think she would remember that!
Okay, I will add sauce then. TY.

I didn't like cranberry sauce either, til last year... tiny bits of sauce with a bite of everything... after about 10 bites... I kinda liked it. I still only like a teeny bit... but I do eat some now... learned to like craisins too and cottage cheese... that was hard. I had to eat one bite, just one... but every day for about 2 weeks before it was "okay", now I really like it with chopped up tomato... I don't eat a lot of tomatoes (nightshade), but when I do, it's with cottage cheese
big_smile.png

I'd like to have one of those thirty wild turkeys running the hill....doubt it now thanks to all the shots fired yesterday, maybe in a week......have you had cranberry from real cranberry? Cooked forever till almost like jam...black walnuts, honey, no white sugar? Yum. Ever since I found out how hens are treated in those commercial warehouses, I have been unable to eat eggs from the store. Can't even look at them. Even if I lived in town, I'm sure I would keep two or three hens, even under the radar rather than contribute to such abuse. Its a shame more people don't know about it, or want to know. Well don't want to get too morbid, some people are just held hostage I guess, I guess there has been a big increase in awareness compared to ten years ago.

I didn't like cranberry sauce either, til last year... tiny bits of sauce with a bite of everything... after about 10 bites... I kinda liked it. I still only like a teeny bit... but I do eat some now... learned to like craisins too and cottage cheese... that was hard. I had to eat one bite, just one... but every day for about 2 weeks before it was "okay", now I really like it with chopped up tomato... I don't eat a lot of tomatoes (nightshade), but when I do, it's with cottage cheese
big_smile.png
I've always loved it!!!! Anyways, I got 5 eggs today, one fell and the dog got it.

Welcome GardenSimply! Are you by any chance a poet? And although Cheeka is technically correct, that this is OK's thread, I think we all pretty much know it has been hijacked by Roger!

Cheeka, your Thanksgiving feast sounds yummyful. I would eat so differently if I was cooking just for myself. Took me awhile to like cranberries also. Think our taste buds for bitter are much more sensitive when we are young, so now there are lots of things I hated as a kid that taste great now. Cottage cheese is good with tomatoes, or any fruit. I especially like it with fresh salsa (add onions and cilantro to the tomatoes).

Are Drake's Cakes anything like Hostess cakes? My mom was a health food fanatic, and to prove a point, she bought a pack of Twinkies and left them on the shelf (in the package). After 3 years, they had no mold and were still soft.
sickbyc.gif
Kind lost interest after that. No more Twinkies for anyone now. Bye Hostess!

MC, your food is making me hungry! Mmmmmm..... meatballs. We're have the classic traditional Thanksgiving again, which I like because we don't eat it but once or twice a year. I also have a confession to make, but I'm afraid you all will think poorly of me. I am not cooking this year. We ordered the whole meal, already cooked, from a local market.
hide.gif
I've never done this before, but after 12 years of hosting and cooking for the whole family, hubby and I wanted a break. MIL is in China, so we don't have to listen to how lazy we are, and we will enjoy ourselves this year instead of scrubbing pots until 10 pm. It was cheaper than going out to a restaurant, and the turkey is an organic free range. Small gathering, make a salad and some pie, and we're done!

ACW, you're right, homemade cranberries, like most everything, are much better. I even like it on cornbread and toast. Have to try making it with honey.

Now I'm really hungry! Guess I skipped lunch again!

the homemade stuff is what I learned to like as far as cranberry sauce, I can't imagine what the can shaped jelly log has over the good stuff...

W4W, that's a nice idea... I had to laugh at the "lazy" comment... sounds like my Mom... if she knew I was having steak... "oh... that's ... untraditional, and easy" lol I usually make the drive to Manhattan to my brother's place, hang with my SIL (love her! she is way cool) and the kids... they do the traditional, with an unusual on the table as well. y'know... you can get anything imaginable in NYC, and get it delivered to your door... last year we had kangaroo. it was good, bit strong, think he overcooked it... and I got to take home the leftovers, shared some with the cats... y'know that noise a cat will make when it's really really happy eating something? that nomnomnomnomnomnom...? the chorus of nomming was hysterical! I was only going to give each kitty one bite... but I just had to share more... wish I could get kangaroo meat up here...

GardenSimply... the poetry thing... it's a hobby... and most are just ditties, but it's fun, usually OK gives me the inspiration, or Roger does... lol if I don't writte any before my new chicks arrive, I am certain that I will gain lots from them! constant double shifts and Sunday/Holiday shifts are wearing on me brain cells!

Hey, a writer! That's great, now, what rhymes with technical........roger will make a spectacle, sqwak, and scream, flap and brag, send OK s secrets off to print in a gossip rag. What could be worse, she makes such a mess, well just don't give out your email address. She'll write to your chickens, she'll give them ideas, next thing you know, they're off to the carribean. Oh well....close. :)

Back
Top Bottom