Should I Collect The Eggs Or Leave On The Nest ?

mjolrdanlmj

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Pasadena,Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I am trying to get either of my hens to set. I am leaving the eggs in there nest hoping they will figure it out. Is this a bad idea? If after a week and still nothing can I still eat the eggs? Both girls were laying 2 eggs a day until last week and one has quit laying, so I'm hoping she will be the one. So far no takers.

If you eat them after a week of being the nest I'd crack them over a bowl instead of directly into your cake mix or skillet. Reason being, after a week of hens jumping in & out of the nest the eggs may have unnoticable cracks and can cause the eggs to spoil.
For that same reason I wouldn't leave hatching eggs in the nest for a week either. Instead, write the date on the eggs and store them fat end up in a carton. When you have the desired number of eggs remove the old ones as you add the new ones. That way you'll always have a fresh clutch ready if a hen goes broody.
Don't forget to turn them while they are in storage.
If you leave them in the nest, use a Sharpie to write the date on the eggs, that way when you get the desired number of eggs you can remove the old ones as new ones are layed and you will always have a fresh clutch ready if a hen goes broody.
If I want my hens to go broody I leave about 8-10 eggs in the nest and that triggers the urge to set.
Hope that helps.

If you eat them after a week of being the nest I'd crack them over a bowl instead of directly into your cake mix or skillet. Reason being, after a week of hens jumping in & out of the nest the eggs may have unnoticable cracks and can cause the eggs to spoil.
For that same reason I wouldn't leave hatching eggs in the nest for a week either. Instead, write the date on the eggs and store them fat end up in a carton. When you have the desired number of eggs remove the old ones as you add the new ones. That way you'll always have a fresh clutch ready if a hen goes broody.
Don't forget to turn them while they are in storage.
If you leave them in the nest, use a Sharpie to write the date on the eggs, that way when you get the desired number of eggs you can remove the old ones as new ones are layed and you will always have a fresh clutch ready if a hen goes broody.
If I want my hens to go broody I leave about 8-10 eggs in the nest and that triggers the urge to set.
Hope that helps.

Thanks ChickenLegs13...I'll take your advice. I like the idea of dating the eggs so I'll have a fresh batch to brood. I thought leaving eggs on the nest might be the way to trigger one into setting...again thanks

My girls are starting to lay!! I have 4 eggs so far. One Sunday and 3 this morning! My question is: if I am gathering eggs for consumption, should I take them as soon as I know they're there? And I tried putting the golf balls in a couple nests and the girls seem to look for a nest that is empty or they lay them in the yard.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom