Member of the First Egg Club!

BonnieBlue

Songster
Apr 20, 2022
It happened! I got my first ever egg as a chicken owner. My 5 girls are 23 weeks old, and I figured nothing would happen until the days started getting longer again, so I quit stalking the coop watching for an egg. I guess like a watched pot doesn't boil, a watched chicken doesn't lay. Lol.

Nothing was there at 10am when I cleaned the coop, and didn't get back out there until 5pm to close the pop door and tell the girls goodnight. When I peeked in ok them, I noticed the nest closest to the door had two eggs in it. I only remembered putting one fake egg in each nest, and since it was exactly the color of the fake one, only smaller, I did a double take.

I am so excited. What a wonderful journey this has been so far. That first egg is definitely rewarding!

Attachments

• 20231209_172322.jpg
    20231209_172322.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 61
So I got a second egg! But I don't know if same girl, or a different easter egger. (Exact same color as first.) However, this one was laid in the coop. I think it was sometime in the early morning hours, because I noticed on my security camera, only two girls were in the run as the sun was starting to come up, and after a while, the other three were still missing. I went to check on them, and they were afraid to get off the roosts, because there was something strange on the floor! lol

I have fake eggs in the nesting boxes, and thick fake grass nesting mats. The first egg was in a box. Do they eventually catch on, or if this continues, is there something else I can do to coax them to lay in the boxes?

Funny that the "strange" item on the floor frightened them!

Some of my girls are a bit confused when they first start laying. All of them eventually use the nest boxes -- some sooner, some later.

Like you, I use fake eggs in the boxes and fake grass mats. Congrats on the second egg, and, hopefully, everyone will figure out the nest box thing soon!

It happened! I got my first ever egg as a chicken owner. My 5 girls are 23 weeks old, and I figured nothing would happen until the days started getting longer again, so I quit stalking the coop watching for an egg. I guess like a watched pot doesn't boil, a watched chicken doesn't lay. Lol.

Nothing was there at 10am when I cleaned the coop, and didn't get back out there until 5pm to close the pop door and tell the girls goodnight. When I peeked in ok them, I noticed the nest closest to the door had two eggs in it. I only remembered putting one fake egg in each nest, and since it was exactly the color of the fake one, only smaller, I did a double take.

I am so excited. What a wonderful journey this has been so far. That first egg is definitely rewarding!
1000005141.jpg
We also got our every first egg today! Our chickids are 23 weeks old; 4 EE, 3 BO, 2 BA, 2 Dominiques. We thanked the EEs for the egg and for laying it in the nesting box 🥰
Agreed - what a journey. The anticipation, excitement, the fundamental enrichment these chickids bring to our lives...I just love these girls.

Back
Top Bottom