Should I COOK her? Need your thoughts.......

Are you sure she isn't an internal layer?
hmm.png

I have a 7 month old BO doing the same thing. She doesn't even have a large crop like the others her age. I don't know what to think. She seems fine all around, just not laying. I could never eat her so I just wait
roll.png

I had an interesting phenomenon occur the other day. I let my girls out of their run for the first time. The next day, we had two eggs more than we had the day before. After another afternoon out, we had 11 eggs! 6-8-11!
And all with decreasing daylight.

Probably not related (I was also very liberally feeding black oil sunflower seeds...how does this get things going btw?), but interesting if it is.

I just wonder if moving around helps better position the eggs for laying?

Here's hoping for my first dozen in a day today!

-Christian

Well, she was in the nest AGAIN today but she left the nest with NO EGG left behind. I know for sure because I sat and watched her from outside the coop as not to disturb her....as I have have done before. She goes through all the motions of a layer and she even squats but then nothing. Strange, right?

Attack Chicken, no, I don't think she is an internal layer because her abdomen is soft and I've heard it would be hard and you will feel eggs in there which I do not.

Snowy, I am definitely sure it is a hen...RIR is the breed. Here's a pic of her....

12435_img_2964.jpg

I do keep a light on all day in the coop and then turn it off when it gets dark out.

Christian....hope you get a dozen soon!
big_smile.png

All of my girls are laying except for this one that is holding out...LOL!

Both of my Spitzhauben girls are not laying at nine months old and I am very patient waiting for them to start laying. One has red comb and the other sis does not.

Patience is a virtue!

Thanks Attack Chic! She is beautiful
big_smile.png

Lovemychix - That's funny! I love that movie! I can't think of the name of the hen on "Chicken Run" that couldn't lay and the others covered for her....was it Babs? Mrs Tweety was a wicked old bird...LOL!

Ewesheep - sounds like we have a common problem......yes, patience is wonderful...if you have it...LOL!

We were going through something similar with 3 of our White Leghorns. They were 7 months old and still not laying. I also posed the question about turning my girls into soup. They must have been reading my mind. Within a week they began finally laying. It is very strange and frustrating to have to wait such a long time. Hope things turn out well for you and your girl.

Back
Top Bottom