Should I get chickens?

TheChickenChaser

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2024
Hello guys!
I am very conflicted on whether or not to get baby chicks. I used to love them so much when I was a kid, but now, a couple years later, I was thinking about getting more. I want to raise them as pets and hope they will be as friendly as possible, but I tried that with quail, but stressed them out when I tried to handle and pet them. Will this happen with chickens? I want to be able to call to my chickens to come to me, pet and pick them up, possibly leash train one, and cuddle with them occasionally inside with a diaper. Is all of this reasonable? There are so many things I want to do with them, but I am worried that they will not be the right fit for me and that I will stress them out/lose interest.

Thank you guys so much :)

Hello guys!
I am very conflicted on whether or not to get baby chicks. I used to love them so much when I was a kid, but now, a couple years later, I was thinking about getting more. I want to raise them as pets and hope they will be as friendly as possible, but I tried that with quail, but stressed them out when I tried to handle and pet them. Will this happen with chickens? I want to be able to call to my chickens to come to me, pet and pick them up, possibly leash train one, and cuddle with them occasionally inside with a diaper. Is all of this reasonable? There are so many things I want to do with them, but I am worried that they will not be the right fit for me and that I will stress them out/lose interest.

Thank you guys so much :)
Some chickens are super sweet and all but as far as leash training them and putting a diaper on them I dont think you'll be that impressed. Why dont you look into a pet rabbit instead? They can be potty trained and are super sweet, cuddly and nice. I think your expectations are just a bit too high on a pet chicken since they are more livestock than pet material. Please do look into rabbits though it sounds like thats just what you need😁.

Thank you guys for the input! One question, Would I be able to stay near them without them getting spooked? Or is that not possible, I am okay with not being able to pet them, but while they roam around, could I do it with them? Thanks for the pet ideas as well, unfortunately, we can not currently get anymore indoor pets _/(*-*)\_. Thank you all! I think I will try to get them and learn about their behavior. Worst case-scenario is that they don't like me touching them and will just let me be near them and give them treats!

Thank you guys for the input! One question, Would I be able to stay near them without them getting spooked? Or is that not possible, I am okay with not being able to pet them, but while they roam around, could I do it with them? Thanks for the pet ideas as well, unfortunately, we can not currently get anymore indoor pets _/(*-*)\_. Thank you all! I think I will try to get them and learn about their behavior. Worst case-scenario is that they don't like me touching them and will just let me be near them and give them treats!
Of you have them long enough then they should get used to you so you can sit near them or feed them. Some breeds are more flighty than others so get a more docile breed if you do get some. My silkies were very sweet and docile. Good luck in your chicken search😁👍

Of you have them long enough then they should get used to you so you can sit near them or feed them. Some breeds are more flighty than others so get a more docile breed if you do get some. My silkies were very sweet and docile. Good luck in your chicken search😁👍
I agree! I am thinking speckled sussex as they are very friendly (or so I have heard). Also, how early on should I spend time with the chicks if I am getting them at a day old? And how do you recommend interacting with the chicks?

I agree! I am thinking speckled sussex as they are very friendly (or so I have heard). Also, how early on should I spend time with the chicks if I am getting them at a day old? And how do you recommend interacting with the chicks?
They say dont hold them until after a few days but I handled mine quite a bit and they were sweet.

You should spend time with them every day
And letting them eat from your hand is a good start, they'll trust you more

Back
Top Bottom