Should I get rid of a rooster?

infinitepizza

In the Brooder
Nov 22, 2022
I have heard that you need a ratio of 8-10 hens for a rooster, but is that PER ROOSTER, or just a recommendation to have a small flock if you decide to have a rooster? Here's my dilemma:

I have a pre-laying flock of 14 hens, and 2 roosters. Hatched all at the same time. I like one of the roosters. The other I don't like as much. If I get rid of the one, then it's 14 hens for one rooster--in violation of the ratio. What would be the downsides of that?

If I keep both roosters, then it's 7 hens per rooster--also in violation of the ratio. I kind of want to keep both because I've heard their less aggressive towards humans if they have to worry about each other.

What should I do as far as keeping or culling? Please help, as I've never kept roosters before.

Oh and I'm new and happy to be here!

The ratio is for optimal fertility. Some boys need more and some need less. Most of my pens right now are 1:2-4. My main egg flock is usually around 2-3 males and 12-18 females

My Cornish bantams on the other hand is at 1:11 I think, plus an immature cockerel that isn't breeding yet. And I still get bald backs

@infinitepizza what is your goal in keeping chickens?
Eggs, meat, hatching, pretty and peaceful pets???

I kind of want to keep both because I've heard their less aggressive towards humans if they have to worry about each other.
Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

in violation of the ratio
The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Generally the more roosters you keep the greater the chance of it not working. IMO I would let both roosters go. You notoriously tend to get rotten roosters when they are just raised with flock mates. Nothing with roosters is written in stone...but.

Flockmate roosters can wear out pullets. They are ready for sex long before the pullets are. Keep an eye on your girls.

If this is your first year with chickens - I would propose letting both roosters go - IMO roosters take quite a bit more experience than hens.

Do be aware that how they are acting today is NO indication how they will act in the future. Do be aware, that friendly behavior often indicates no respect for people, and these boys often turn aggressive.

I know that you probably are going to ignore this advice, and they are your chickens to do with as you want. The best advice is not to make a firm and fast decision, but be open to if one is not working out for you, it is alright to send him on his merry way, however it works for you. Do not keep a rotten rooster just wishing he would be nice.

Also be very aware if you have young children under the age of 6, they can take an attack in the face. This forum is filled with posts where the darling became the nightmare in an instant. Probably he was given cues that he was becoming aggressive, but people didn't catch on.

It would be best, IMO to let these two go, let your girls grow up, add a few chicks next year or look around you for a rooster grown up in a multi-generational flock. They have better understanding of chicken society, and that owner should recognize aggressive behaviors.

Mrs K

hello @infinitepizza , welcome to BYC :frow

Chickens differ and people differ and you will find advice varies depending on the experiences each person has had with the roosters of their acquaintance.

But I expect we'd all agree that young roos go through a jerk phase, when their male hormones start flowing, and that they can be difficult at that time, especially if there are no mature hens in the flock to teach them how to behave. That's why Mrs K is advising you to get rid of these two and wait till next year when your pullets will have grown up and can handle a rowdy young cockerel.

My eldest roo (my avatar) grew up as yours currently are, with flockmates. He went through a jerk phase, but it was quite shortlived, and he's been a real asset since (though not as the dom since he suffered a fox attack in 2020, when his son took over that role). Over the years I have had various ratios of males to females; I think the personality of the roo matters more than the number of them, absolutely or in relation to the number of females. Personally I wouldn't keep any roo that was aggressive to humans - once I was absolutely sure I was not misreading the signs, and that a given roo definitely was human aggressive.

So I would advise you to wait and see how things pan out.

@infinitepizza what is your goal in keeping chickens?
Eggs, meat, hatching, pretty and peaceful pets???

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc ....short term and/or long term.
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.
My goal is primarily eggs, but I would like to keep the door open to hatching with them because I'm trying to be more sustainable/regenerative.

Of course, I've also left the door open for the males to become meat if necessary.

Generally the more roosters you keep the greater the chance of it not working. IMO I would let both roosters go. You notoriously tend to get rotten roosters when they are just raised with flock mates. Nothing with roosters is written in stone...but.

Flockmate roosters can wear out pullets. They are ready for sex long before the pullets are. Keep an eye on your girls.

If this is your first year with chickens - I would propose letting both roosters go - IMO roosters take quite a bit more experience than hens.

Do be aware that how they are acting today is NO indication how they will act in the future. Do be aware, that friendly behavior often indicates no respect for people, and these boys often turn aggressive.

I know that you probably are going to ignore this advice, and they are your chickens to do with as you want. The best advice is not to make a firm and fast decision, but be open to if one is not working out for you, it is alright to send him on his merry way, however it works for you. Do not keep a rotten rooster just wishing he would be nice.

Also be very aware if you have young children under the age of 6, they can take an attack in the face. This forum is filled with posts where the darling became the nightmare in an instant. Probably he was given cues that he was becoming aggressive, but people didn't catch on.

It would be best, IMO to let these two go, let your girls grow up, add a few chicks next year or look around you for a rooster grown up in a multi-generational flock. They have better understanding of chicken society, and that owner should recognize aggressive behaviors.

Mrs K
Thanks for the advice. They are fairly well-behaved now, but I can see how that could change very quickly. There are children around, so I will definitely consider booting them out of the flock.

hello @infinitepizza , welcome to BYC :frow

Chickens differ and people differ and you will find advice varies depending on the experiences each person has had with the roosters of their acquaintance.

But I expect we'd all agree that young roos go through a jerk phase, when their male hormones start flowing, and that they can be difficult at that time, especially if there are no mature hens in the flock to teach them how to behave. That's why Mrs K is advising you to get rid of these two and wait till next year when your pullets will have grown up and can handle a rowdy young cockerel.

My eldest roo (my avatar) grew up as yours currently are, with flockmates. He went through a jerk phase, but it was quite shortlived, and he's been a real asset since (though not as the dom since he suffered a fox attack in 2020, when his son took over that role). Over the years I have had various ratios of males to females; I think the personality of the roo matters more than the number of them, absolutely or in relation to the number of females. Personally I wouldn't keep any roo that was aggressive to humans - once I was absolutely sure I was not misreading the signs, and that a given roo definitely was human aggressive.

So I would advise you to wait and see how things pan out.
Thank you for your advice. I would like to keep at least one roo, but having never done it before, I'm not sure what to expect. I would hope mine would also have a shortlived jerk phase, but am I willing to wait it out? I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom