Should I get this Olive egger pullet?

I've always wanted a Olive egger for awhile ever since I got into chickens, I searched around for a Olive egger and found someone in my area that is selling an F2 Olive egger pullet, So she is a backcross Crele Penedescenda/Cream Legbar. She seems like a interesting cross, But its a 50/50 that she will either lay a Olive egg or brown eggs. What do you guys think?
This is Ginger, she's also an EE, and looks like that one. She does lay olive green eggs (hers on the right)
20230901_171157.jpg
20230810_143937_exported_60536~2.jpg

Maybe you'll get lucky too!

This is Ginger, she's also an EE, and looks like that one. She does lay olive green eggs (hers on the right)
View attachment 3629517View attachment 3629516

Maybe you'll get lucky too!
Oh my goodness! She really does look exactly like that pullet, She is very cute :) Thats a pretty nice Olive green egg as well, You made me hopeful! I hope my dream of Olive eggs will come true.

Last edited:
That's cool. I never knew there was a way to tell.
Thats really fascinating! So do you just take a feather sample or is it a blood sample, Its hard to tell on their website.

The test is relatively new. It's been around for at least a year, but I think not more than two or three years from that lab. Sometime before that, a few people were sending feather samples to a lab in Germany to get them tested for that gene (I think that was mostly Ameraucana breeders, who wanted to be sure their flocks really were pure for the blue egg gene.)

The lab can do the test with either a feather sample or a blood sample, or the eggshell a chick hatches from. (The eggshell could be handy for people who keep track of which chick hatches from which egg, and want to know quickly so they can keep or sell chicks according to whether the particular chick has the blue egg gene.)

She is around the same age as our other pullets do you think if I put one of my pullets with her, Would this help the integration?
Any new bird(s) should be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to letting them near your resident flock. And as it would be cruel to condemn a single bird to live in solitary confinement for such a long time, get two and quarantine properly. They will keep each other company until you can move their cage near your flock in a see but not touch area for introduction.

You could put one of your current pullets, plus one new pullet, in quarantine together, away from the rest of your flock. That does expose one of your current birds to any parasites or diseases that the new bird brings, but it still protects the rest of your flock. Other than that, it gives all the benefits you would get from buying & introducing two birds, while only actually buying one (so your flock becomes one bird larger, not two birds larger, and you don't have to decide on a second bird that you might want to add).

Just a note about quarantine: the idea is to keep the new bird(s) completely separate from your current flock, with no ability to spread parasites, germs, dust & dander that can have germs, and so forth. That means they need to be quite a ways apart, or have the new ones inside a building that the current flock does not go into, or something like that. You should also plan to tend the current birds first, then the new ones, then change clothes and wash hands before you next deal with your current chickens.

The benefit of quarantine is that you can find parasites or diseases and treat them, or dispose of the birds that have them, without those things spreading to the rest of your flock. The larger your flock, or the harder to replace your flock, the more it matters. But it is a certain amount of bother, and not everyone can manage to do it well enough to work right.

Some people think quarantine is a great idea. Some other people do not even try. And some people do not think they can do it well enough, but really do not want to bring in diseases, so they never buy adult chickens from any source (newly-hatched chicks are fairly safe if they hatched in an incubator and had no contact with older chickens, and eggs to hatch ar your place are even safer.) I cannot say that any attitude is more correct than another, just that I can see some points in favor of each of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom