Welsummer roo x cream legbar hen

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
Im sure this has been discussed but i cant find the thread.

I have a beautiful welsummer roo. Im considering getting some cream legbar pullets. Will that always result in olive eggers? Like could i sell them ( chicks or hatching eggs) as such?

And also.would they be sex linked?

Olive eggers.... In theory yes. I've always considered olive eggers as birds that lay dark green eggs. So your Welsummer would need to be from a line that laid dark brown eggs. Lots of Welsummers aren't.
Others are calling anything that lays green eggs olive eggers. Your cross would produce those without a doubt.
Sex linked.... yes they would be. Girls would be duckwing and boys would be duckwing with barring. Now whether they showed a nice easy to see headspot at hatch would have to be determined.
The boys wouldn't hatch out with the normal very lightened pattern like a legbar boy since they'd only have one barring gene instead of two.

Olive eggers.... In theory yes. I've always considered olive eggers as birds that lay dark green eggs. So your Welsummer would need to be from a line that laid dark brown eggs. Lots of Welsummers aren't.
Others are calling anything that lays green eggs olive eggers. Your cross would produce those without a doubt.
Sex linked.... yes they would be. Girls would be duckwing and boys would be duckwing with barring. Now whether they showed a nice easy to see headspot at hatch would have to be determined.
The boys wouldn't hatch out with the normal very lightened pattern like a legbar boy since they'd only have one barring gene instead of two.
So I have 1 welsummer hen that lays very dark brown speckled eggs. If i hatch a roo from her would that be more likely to give me olive eggers that are more than pale green?

Trying to learn…
What is Duckwing? Welsummer X Legbar would be a Wellbar, correct? I’m sure the eggs would be beautiful!
Welbar are Welsummer X barred Rock so no, technically not.,

By definition according to my understanding they also need to meet certain egg production standards (including color and quantity at least 200) which will not be brought to the table by the Legbar.

Please note I'm also just a life long learner, not an expert.

Trying to learn…
What is Duckwing? Welsummer X Legbar would be a Wellbar, correct? I’m sure the eggs would be beautiful!
Duckwing is a pattern. Welsummer have the duckwing pattern. Legbars have duckwing with barring and cream.
No they wouldn't be welbars because welbars need to lay dark brown eggs. And welbars need to have barring. Your cross females would not and your males would only have one copy instead of two.

So I have 1 welsummer hen that lays very dark brown speckled eggs. If i hatch a roo from her would that be more likely to give me olive eggers that are more than pale green?
When making olive eggers it's always an advantage to use the darkest brown egg lines. Using a male from a dark egg would be beneficial.
Not saying your rooster you have won't produce the dark green laying offspring. It's just an unknown if you don't know, you know?

Welbar are Welsummer X barred Rock so no, technically not.,

By definition according to my understanding they also need to meet certain egg production standards (including color and quantity at least 200) which will not be brought to the table by the Legbar.

Please note I'm also just a life long learner, not an expert.
Welbars are a breed. Sure you know that but I didn't want someone to read that and think crossing a Welsummer and a barred rock would make a welbar. It would be a starting point but not a welbar.
I've never heard anything about needing to lay a certain amount of eggs.
I've had legbars, welsummers and welbars. My legbars were the best layers out of the three.

Back
Top Bottom