Should I get this Olive egger pullet?

How could you say "NO" to that face! I'd take her in a heartbeat, looks healthy but of course due your due diligence before moving into your flock, might be hard introducing just 1 new bird. How many chickens do you have now?
I have 11 chickens currently, Do you think it would become a problem to only introduce one bird.

I have 11 chickens currently, Do you think it would become a problem to only introduce one bird.
Yes, as others have stated, all fury and anger would be targeted toward the new bird, even your most well behaved may look at the "new kid" and bully her. She needs a friend and lot's of room to hide and such in my opinion.

Yes, as all the attention will be directed on her and the resident birds will defend their territory against the intruder.
Thanks for the info, Do you think giving her a seperate space like a dog kennel next to the run would help introducing, Or will it still be tough to integrate?

It isn't ideal, but if you do a lengthy "look, don't touch" setup it should go fine. Are the rest of your hens rather calm?
They did well, when we integrated 5 pullets together, But since she might be alone it might now work, She is around the same age as our other pullets do you think if I put one of my pullets with her, Would this help the integration?

There actually is a test for the blue egg gene:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/blueegg

If the pullet has the blue egg gene, she will lay some shade of blue, green, or olive. If she does not have the blue egg gene, she will lay some shade of brown.

I would only bother with the test if it was very important to me, but I can't say how important it is to OP to get a bird with the blue egg gene.

If one parent is actually a Penedesenca, then she should lay fairly dark eggs (olive or brown, depending on whether she has the blue egg gene or not.)

If someone crossed two F1 Olive Eggers to produce her, so neither of her parents is a pure breed, then her egg color could be anywhere from light (blue or cream) to dark (olive or chocolate) or something in between.
Thats really fascinating! So do you just take a feather sample or is it a blood sample, Its hard to tell on their website.

Thanks for the info, Do you think giving her a seperate space like a dog kennel next to the run would help introducing, Or will it still be tough to integrate?
Any new bird(s) should be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to letting them near your resident flock. And as it would be cruel to condemn a single bird to live in solitary confinement for such a long time, get two and quarantine properly. They will keep each other company until you can move their cage near your flock in a see but not touch area for introduction.

Any new bird(s) should be quarantined for 3-4 weeks prior to letting them near your resident flock. And as it would be cruel to condemn a single bird to live in solitary confinement for such a long time, get two and quarantine properly. They will keep each other company until you can move their cage near your flock in a see but not touch area for introduction.
Thank you for all the information, I'm going to think more about it, The seller might have more then one pullet she is selling. Though it might just be best for me to wait next year and hope there are some guaranteed Olive eggers.

Thank you for all the information, I'm going to think more about it, The seller might have more then one pullet she is selling. Though it might just be best for me to wait next year and hope there are some guaranteed Olive eggers.
You could always create your own.

Back
Top Bottom