should i give up on last egg nearly day 24

joannamarie

Songster
12 Years
Jun 17, 2007
it is nearly day 24 should i move last egg from under her that hasnt hatched, 1 chick hatched 3 hours before day 22, the other hatched on day on the night of day 22.
i am desperate to move her and chicks into their small hutch and house, she has been pooping in her nest all along, worried chicks will get sick.
and now i think hutch and run is waterproof now, it was leaking bad though seams of door that opens on the house. i bought it from the pet shop for them but they wouldnt take it back as they put ventilation holes in that i asked them to do before delivering it. they brought down a waterpoof sheet down to peg over the house so i think it will be ok now

can you candle it? Are you sure it is still alive? What about an incubator? Do you have one? Maybe it will hatch by the time you read this....and there wont be a problem. I TOO would be worried about the messy nest. Hmmmmm, what to do, what to do?

i havnt candled it since day 8 it was developing along with the other 2.
she is still convinced it will hatch and is still sitting on it.
i got hold of it earlier put it to my ear couldnt hear anything i dont want to throw away a egg that may hatch late, but i dont want chicks getting sick becuae of messy nest as i prosume that when she goes into this small coop/run she will go outside and do it not in nest, she has been pooping in nest all along ive kept scooping it out but its a mess

I would wait until night, pull the egg out and candle it. If it's no longer alive there is no reason to leave those poor babies in a dirty nest. imho

i have removed the egg already and put the hen and chicks in the small pen
i picked away at the egg shell the chick wasnt in the air sac looked to have died it was a rooster which i couldnt have kept so at least it was that one and not one of the hens

Back
Top Bottom