Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Quote:
I hate to say it but it's a matter of knowing what to do and when to do it.. I have seen some who have opened the air cell and assumed the chick was dead.. then ripped into the membrane causing a perfectly fine chick to bleed to death.. so it's not something to be taken lightly.. i've been doing this for a very very very long time.. and it's also very rare that i lose a chick.. I was lucky though.. I was raised around "poultry people" who worked most of the bugs out of the system long before I came along

As it is.. I can tell people what I would do given the info they give me.. if they choose to follow that advice and listen to everything I tell them.. and follow each step .. well.. that's up to them.. I can only do so much from a distance and not be there to see and hear what's going on. so i have to depend on what info they give me

assisting a hatch is not for everyone.. it's purely a personal choice and everyone must follow their heart and do what's right for them

My problem is finding them when it's already too late. Funny how little cockatoo eggs eggs that size I used to be able to do this with, but I get a round a chicken egg and I'm a flop sometimes. I do save a lot but not as many as I want to. I won't be here the day of the next hatch for several hours. I just hope if there's a problem, I'm home before it's too late.

I think this thread should be a sticky. This is going to help a lot of people along the way. Talk about your step by step directions.

It's so nice of you to come in here through all of this and help.

Yeah for the chickies!!

Well although he had broken through his membrane there are still plump vessels in the good membrane. I wrapped it in a paper towel with just the area around his been exposed. He is resting right now. I pray all will be well. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quote:
I hate to say it but it's a matter of knowing what to do and when to do it.. I have seen some who have opened the air cell and assumed the chick was dead.. then ripped into the membrane causing a perfectly fine chick to bleed to death.. so it's not something to be taken lightly.. i've been doing this for a very very very long time.. and it's also very rare that i lose a chick.. I was lucky though.. I was raised around "poultry people" who worked most of the bugs out of the system long before I came along

As it is.. I can tell people what I would do given the info they give me.. if they choose to follow that advice and listen to everything I tell them.. and follow each step .. well.. that's up to them.. I can only do so much from a distance and not be there to see and hear what's going on. so i have to depend on what info they give me

assisting a hatch is not for everyone.. it's purely a personal choice and everyone must follow their heart and do what's right for them

My problem is finding them when it's already too late. Funny how little cockatoo eggs eggs that size I used to be able to do this with, but I get a round a chicken egg and I'm a flop sometimes. I do save a lot but not as many as I want to. I won't be here the day of the next hatch for several hours. I just hope if there's a problem, I'm home before it's too late.

I think this thread should be a sticky. This is going to help a lot of people along the way. Talk about your step by step directions.

It's so nice of you to come in here through all of this and help.

Yeah for the chickies!!

I've hatched a lot of parrot eggs and cockatiel eggs too. though it has been a few years!

the only problem I could see about making this into a sticky is that people tend to panic a bit.. they need to be told exactly what to do for their specific situation... as it is when it comes to having to assist.. most people who have never done it before are usually upset and worried (which is normal human behavior) .. so a lot of times they can't just read through the info and know what to do without being told.. it's the panic and worry that does it.. if this were a thread about building a coop or letting birds free range it would be different.. because then, when they would be accessing the info they would have a calmer mindset

My spelling today is horrid. I left the area where his beak is exposed open and made sure the paper towel is around the rest of the egg.

Well that little chick died. It seemed as though it took up the entire egg. I have another that is a bit out. We will see! I'll keep you posted.

Quote:
hugs.gif
well.. at least you tried.. he did sound pretty weak by your description.. and sometimes a hard hatch just takes too much out of them

lets hope the rest have easy hatches and are nice strong little chickies

Wow! I've missed a lot!! Now I'M the one playing catch-up!

Yinepu, I haven't really explored this site.. I just had an urgent question and started this thread- but are there specific pages available for step by step information on what to do for a specific problem that you can just click on? I understand completely what you were saying about the panic when something goes wrong (HELLO!! im the queen of panic lately!!) lol but it would be nice to have the usual top "emergencies" available with one click, ya know? I know every situation isnt the same but say you have a shrink wrapped baby- you have been successful in saving 12 of my chicks because you sent me very detailed information on how to assist in hatching them. A DOZEN perfectly healthy babies that def would have died in their shells are happy and vivacious all because of you!!!!!
thumbsup.gif
You helped me with 10 shrink wraps, 2 ruptured yolk sacs that hadnt been absorbed, 1 emergency aspiration problem and succeeded in helping me with an egg that hadnt internally pipped yet and needed to stay moist. ALL of these babies are THRIVING! I have only lost one but it was apparently already dead as it was a very tiny baby (i will post a pic in a sec) and never developed fully. It also had a humongus yolk sac. As per our conversation we came to the conclusion that a bacterial infection of the yolk sac was most likely the culprit and robbed the baby of the nutrients it needed to develop properly. Nothing we could have done about that one though. If there were a HERO of the year award I'd give it to you!! As Ive said several times I am sooooooo thankful that you volunteer your time and endless knowledge in helping all of us save lives every day. and just so you wouldnt have to keep saying the same things over and over again with each new day, it really would be nice to have an area of tabs with instructions on exactly what to do in a certain situation. I mean you DO sleep sometimes ;-)

SO GLAD others are reading and benefiting from this thread! Its only going to spread the word and save more and more lives. KUDOS Yineju!
celebrate.gif
I love it when ppl care so much!!

If any of you are wondering.. all of my babies are doing just great!! Including my "lil man"! I have been able to get some sleep today so that explains my disappearing act! lol I had another egg hatching out all by itself today but then after it has zipped about half way across the egg, it had ruptured its yolk sac inside the egg. I was proud of that chick! it has been peeping loudly all day and was doing such a great job! Then my hubby and I went to watch an hour show on TV and when he went to the kitchen to make the babys bottle for the night, he heard my lil chick gurgling and all kinds of fluid around it in the egg and more fluid had oozed out of the shell. I immediately peeled back some of the membrane (this baby had been ready to hatch as there were no veins anymore) and drained as much of that fluid out as I could. That little chick struggled to get out and once I got it out it was gasping for air and went limp. Jas thought it had died a couple of times.. he was saying Heather its too badly aspirated.. its lungs are full of all this stuff from that sac and it cant breathe. The sac was hanging and half drained and its intestines were hanging out as well. Ofcourse we couldnt just leave her like that so he started working on pushing its intestines back in with a q-tip (just like we did for little man) and I told him- if there is a way to save her I know who to call! Yineju came to the rescue again! She walked me thru exactly how to get the fluid out of her lungs (Yineju pls write out those instructions so theyre available incase anyone runs into this problem.. you explained things perfectly and it worked like a charm!) I was able to get that fluid out and her gasping and gurgles immediately changed to healthy chirps again and she became active :) See how wonderful she is yall!! See, there could be another little page you could click on with detailed instructions on what to do with an aspirated chick.
clap.gif
She too is doing great. We treated her just like lil man, fixed the aspiration problem, jas tied her tummy off again just like with lil man after pushing the intestines back in, put a little bit of neosporin around the belly area he tied off and I'm going to start her on antibiotics as soon as I get finished with this post and hope for the best! :) Shes already pooping the usual green poop so he successfully put her intestines back in as well :) Lets just hope the aspiration incident doesnt turn into pneumonia or something.. if it tries maybe the antibiotics will knock it out.
I wonder how long I should keep them on the antibiotics?

Time for a status update!! I candled my remaining eggs about an hour ago and I have 4 rockers! One of them has already internally pipped and is peeping! 8 others have not internally pipped yet and arent rocking but may still be viable eggs. I have 1 slosher and 2 others that probably arent good eggs. Kept those 3 in there too just in case.

This drama filled adventure isnt over for me just yet!
hide.gif

Oh! BTW: lil man and the chick that I helped hatch after him are spoiled rotten! They peep loudly if I leave the room and jump up in my hand as soon as the see me and they absolutely LOVE to snuggle up under my chin
love.gif
Yineju I could only hope I get a lil "Fred" out of this :)

Time for pictures!!!
jumpy.gif

My Little Man!! (ruptured yolk sac baby!) (his toes arent curled I just sat him on that screen for a mini photo shoot :)

chickLM-20110720-00224.jpg

Another picture of Little Man :)

chickLM3-20110720-00205.jpg

Here he is showing off his cheetah spots!

chickLM2-20110720-00204.jpg

And here's my aspirated girl that stuck her leg thru her yolk sac causing her to almost drown in her egg..

chickaspiratedgirl-20110720-00232.jpg

This is a picture of the dead miniature chick which more than likely died due to a possible infection in the egg yolk causing her to not develop properly.. You can see how tiny her little leg was.. its right next to her beak. The whole baby was only a bit larger than my thumb print might be..
Its not a happy picture so I'm going to make it small and if you want to see it larger you can click on the link below it..
chickdead-20110720-00227.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zMNKi2V1xxF4yqsx01gd5ZXYquk_qaMCjwO9lAPAKWU?feat=directlink

Well, I'm off to give some antibiotics to lil man and the new chick and see if theres any progress with my peeper!

I hope to get some sleep tonight/this morning!
frow.gif
:)

Last edited:
Well, lil aspirated girl just didnt make it
idunno.gif

I guess she just had too much fluid in her lungs :-( i wish i had just went ahead and gotten her out of her shell but she was doing such a great job i didnt intervene :-( i was just with her for the past 45 mins or so.. and she died in my hands :-( i'm sooo sad :-( the ONE i didnt worry about
hit.gif
she's my 1st fatality and it just sucks!
th.gif

off to cry myself to sleep.... :-( dang it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom