Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Quote:
its usually 24 hours from internal to external.. if they are internally pipped for more than 24 hours i poke a small home and see whats going on.. usually they need a little help like just a moist cloth wrapped around.. but sometimes it's worse

So I probably need to do something huh

Quote:
its usually 24 hours from internal to external.. if they are internally pipped for more than 24 hours i poke a small home and see whats going on.. usually they need a little help like just a moist cloth wrapped around.. but sometimes it's worse

your call.. but if you do go in and poke a small hole and the membrane looks good.. remember to wrap a wet paper towel around the egg so it stays moist

Quote:

Well it has finally pipped! (I mean at least I hope it has broken the membrane..) Several times I thought some of my chicks had pipped the outer membrane but had only cracked the shell and no pip thru the membrane... dont know why all my drama has to happen at night right when im ready to head to bed!!

I read about the duramycin in a different thread by doing a google search and found this: "Treatment is NOT for 3 days (as posted earlier in this thread) but rather for a minimum of 7 days or you will get resistance."
So I should keep using it for another 4 days or so? How long is it safe for him go before having the yogurt to replace the bacteria in his intestines? Any idea?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Tia!

I am so sorry to hear about your little guy passing.. I lost the little chick that hatched last night that had kicked her leg thru her yolk sac while still hatching from her shell and became aspirated. She only got to live about 5 hours. :-( But my lil man is doing great! He eats the chick starter and drinks on his own. Ive had him on duramycin-10 (had that from last fall when several of my birds became sick) to hopefully fight off any infection he might get for a few days now.. im just trying to figure out how long he should keep taking it. Today I walked in on him bumping chests with another chick LOL it was so cute and funny to see 2 lil tiny things playing like that :)

It just stinks when you try so hard to save them and they die anyway.. so hugs to you & I hope things get better
hugs.gif

Last edited:
So why Is it that most of the time the lil chicks peep the usual high pitched single peeps but sometimes they almost sound like a songbird? sort of purr? (for lack of a better description word) but mostly just a sweet sound like song birds make.. Does it mean its happy, sad... etc? They do it the most if i pick them up and let them cuddle up to my neck & chin :)

Last edited:
It's my first time with chicks and I've discovering the range of sounds they produce. There's the normal cheeping, then I've heard a cricket sound too! I can also tell the questions; they're really sweet. If I were to write it, it'd sound something like "chee?" On of the chicks yesterday was so noisy I took it out and it sounded like it was going hoarse lol. Silly thing. I snuggled it a bit until it went to sleep then popped it back in with the others. Annoyingly, it only did that when everyone else was asleep!

Quote:

Well it has finally pipped! (I mean at least I hope it has broken the membrane..) Several times I thought some of my chicks had pipped the outer membrane but had only cracked the shell and no pip thru the membrane... dont know why all my drama has to happen at night right when im ready to head to bed!!

I read about the duramycin in a different thread by doing a google search and found this: "Treatment is NOT for 3 days (as posted earlier in this thread) but rather for a minimum of 7 days or you will get resistance."
So I should keep using it for another 4 days or so? How long is it safe for him go before having the yogurt to replace the bacteria in his intestines? Any idea?

Was that for a newly hatched chick?.. my main concern would be for killing off gut flora in a new chick as they don't have the fat reserves that an older bird would have
I found this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=501213
it's
saying 5 days... but my question would be.. for treating what exactly? You may want to contact Duravet directly and ask them.. I've never had to use this antibiotic on a newly hatched chick so I went with 3 days so as to not completely destroy all of the gut flora .. as for the yogurt.. I would give him some now.. and every day for several days if you do decide to go with 7 days of treatment
This is the reply I got back from the help line when I emailed them this morning:

Following is the smaller dose directions for chickens and turkeys.
For Prevention - One teaspoonful to 2.5 gallons of water. Run this as the sole water source for 5 days.
For Treatment - One tablespoonful to one gallon of water. Run this as the sole water source for 5 days then go clear water for 7 days. If symptoms still persist, repeat this regimen. At the treatment level, tetracycline can be a bit bitter to taste. Put a pinch of strawberry or cherry Jell-O in the water to mask the flavor.
You must mix a fresh batch daily.

If you are giving this product to egg layers then you need to discard the eggs for a full 21 days (3 weeks) after the last dose of Duramycin 10.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Customer Service Durvet, Inc. | P.O. Box 279 | 100 S.E. Magellan Drive | Blue Springs, MO 64014Tel 816.229.9101 | Toll Free 800.821.5570 | Fax 816.224.3080
[email protected] | www.durvet.com

Tia, I'm so sorry your chick didn't make it. Mine finally broke free of the umbilical part last night. He immediately sat up but is still not standing well. I hope his legs are okay but we will see. As for the other eggs, I think the chicks are dead. I hope I can figure out my problem. I hate having so many dead chicks.

Back
Top Bottom