Should I help this chick hatch or it is ok?

Lil chick tried her hardest to hatch on her own but after 12 hours of her constantly working on getting out of her shell but making absolutely no progress I went ahead and helped her out a little by removing some of her shell for her. And guess what! no shrink wrap!! thats 2 in a row!! :) However, she too doesn't have her wing over her face just like lil man was inside his egg! I wonder why I have two like this? She is very exhausted! She also has just a little bit left to absorb but other than that she seems just fine. When extended, her wing looks perfectly normal just like lil mans did.. she has made her debut! 2 rockers left to go!

chickwing120110724-00265.jpg

chickwing2-20110724-00266.jpg

Havent read your thread but looks like your doing really well.
I had a shrink wrap late hatch chick we helped out of its shell - it was really weak and never moved for 12hrs. We thought it was dead but he lived and is now living in a petting farm.

Oesdog
lol.png

Quote:
You're in for quite a surprise if you do decide to read it! 30 pages long and still going! lol its been quite a hatch! just about everything that could go wrong HAS! But i only lost one out of 19 and thats because her leg went straight thru her yolk sac while still in the shell and i didnt know it right away. She was very aspirated and didnt make it. She only lived 5 hours :-( I dont know why she didnt just stick her nose out of the shell! She had begun zipping and had plenty of room to stick her nose out and breathe :-( :-(

Last edited:
Quote:
i wouldnt think so.. i mean they do not look anything alike. I think Lil Man is an orpington and marans cross... I will have to see what this chick looks like once she finishes drying off.. I have all kinds of hens but only 3 roosters... one is a silkie and he dont get ANY of the women but one lol... the other two are roosters. one is an olive egger (aruacana and copper marans cross) and the other is a pure black copper marans rooster.. They arent related.

Last edited:
Quote:
i wouldnt think so.. i mean they do not look anything alike. I think Lil Man is an orpington and marans cross... I will have to see what this chick looks like once she finishes drying off.. I have all kinds of hens but only 3 roosters... one is a silkie and he dont get ANY of the women but one lol... the other two are roosters. one is an olive egger (aruacana and copper marans cross) and the other is a pure black copper marans rooster.. They arent related.

it's just odd to have two chicks like that in the same hatch .. let me know if they look anything alike once she dries off

I have been following this thread and it is great !! since this was my first year at hatching ( I used my brooders) I had run into some similar problems also... I did alot of the same you did and also sat up all night saving 2 and found one on floor in coop I thought was dead but felt a tiny tiny movement ran into house grabbed a new shop towell put in microwave for 30 seconds and wrapped her in it while my husband got a heatlamp and a basket with straw and put in bathtub. I stayed up all night holding her and rotating under heat lamp to get warm. In about 30 minutes a little foot moved and then the other and in about 3 hrs eyes opened and she drank a little warm water from my hand and next thing was eatting she is doing wonderful
I put her back with her mom and she is doing great.

I had made the mistake of moving the mom to a new area when this one was starting to hatch and didnt want mom and babies with the other hens. I think she thought she was in someone elses territory. and wanted out of there.
When I found the first born on floor I then moved the whole nest to that hatching box and she seemed content at that point. Not sure if they can tell the bedding is theirs or not but sure seemed to do the trick . all 8 hatched and are now doing great
smile.png

Quote:
I just went back to the photos of when Lil Man hatched and they are definitely not from the same mama because the eggs are different.. They could have the same daddy though but i would imagine id have waaaaay more than just 2 of these in all 60+ that mama hens have hatched out and what ive hatched out.. then again i wouldnt know if the wing was over their face or not if it hatched under a hen..
hu.gif
so i dunno... other than a genetic possibility, do you know of any other reason why?

Quote:
I just went back to the photos of when Lil Man hatched and they are definitely not from the same mama because the eggs are different.. They could have the same daddy though but i would imagine id have waaaaay more than just 2 of these in all 60+ that mama hens have hatched out and what ive hatched out.. then again i wouldnt know if the wing was over their face or not if it hatched under a hen..
hu.gif
so i dunno... other than a genetic possibility, do you know of any other reason why?

not off the top of my head .. if i was still in touch with my old avian vet I would ask her

Back
Top Bottom