Should I help this chick hatch?

HatCo

Chirping
Feb 17, 2022
Bush La
I have a chick, under broody hen that seems to be having trouble hatching. Weve had 5 out of the 6 chicks die... first one lived two days after that the other four have died while hatching.
I dont know what to do. I have not assisted at this point other than to breath hot air near beak to see if it was still alive.

Attachments

• IMG_8273.jpg
    IMG_8273.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 11
I have a chick, under broody hen that seems to be having trouble hatching. Weve had 5 out of the 6 chicks die... first one lived two days after that the other four have died while hatching.
I dont know what to do. I have not assisted at this point other than to breath hot air near beak to see if it was still alive.
How long has it been zipped like that?

I'm new to hatching and new here but for what it's worth just a couple days ago I had a chick that had been zipped but not hatched for over 4 hours. I was told on this forum that it should hatch within an hour after zipping.

I ended up assisting and I'm so glad I did! The exposed membrane had "glued" itself to the chick. My chick made it and is doing fine now.

if the chick did that, not you, and its been working on the zip for like 12 hours, id try to pop the airsac end cap off carefully, any blood at all it wasnt ready ... what ive actually had happen is a zipped egg wedged between two others at the ends and they couldnt push out, and wound up getting glued in time i saw it ... but again, the chick should do the zipping not you, and if its been that way for again id say 12 hours or so id try to pull the airsac endcap off .. if its ready there will be zero blood .. and let it push itself the rest of the way out ..

The membrane looks dry. At this point if it has been trying to zip for more than an hour, I would begin to slowly and carefully peel back the membrane around its beak. Do this in your bathroom after having a shower so there is plenty of humidity. Stop if you see blood veins or yolk. This article should help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

if the chick did that, not you, and its been working on the zip for like 12 hours, id try to pop the airsac end cap off carefully, any blood at all it wasnt ready ... what ive actually had happen is a zipped egg wedged between two others at the ends and they couldnt push out, and wound up getting glued in time i saw it ... but again, the chick should do the zipping not you, and if its been that way for again id say 12 hours or so id try to pull the airsac endcap off .. if its ready there will be zero blood .. and let it push itself the rest of the way out ..
Thank you but the chick didnt make it. Now mama hen has no babies... 😕

sorry for your losses🙁 I am curious, but did all of the eggs look like this with the shell missing and the membrane still not unzipped? It looks like the hen is crushing the eggs because a chick cannot break off the shell like that without unzipping the membrane first. You may need to pull future hatches out from under her and put them in an incubator to hatch at lockdown. Some hens crush the eggs because they are clumsy or trying to help, but either way it’s a problem.

sorry for your losses🙁 I am curious, but did all of the eggs look like this with the shell missing and the membrane still not unzipped? It looks like the hen is crushing the eggs because a chick cannot break off the shell like that without unzipping the membrane first. You may need to pull future hatches out from under her and put them in an incubator to hatch at lockdown. Some hens crush the eggs because they are clumsy or trying to help, but either way it’s a problem.
Three of the chicks just got beak out and did not get through the membrane. One that did get through appeared to get crushed after zipping but before getting out of bottom half of shell. I think she might have done that.
We brought mama inside and put her in cage to break her brooding... any idea if it will take longer to break since she was brooding so long?

Back
Top Bottom