Should I pull a pipping chick from a hen who I think will peck it to death?

AthenasOwl

Songster
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Olympia, Washington
Here is the deal..I am new at 'hatching' the chicks out. I am still learning the process of how they hatch (I have learning so much from this site, and I am so very thankful for you being here!) The thing is I have only dealt with 5 brooding hens. 3 of them (buff orpingtons) have been wonderful moms. 2..not so much. I am pretty sure that one pecked a chick to death, and may have ate it...the second one, I am not sure how she will react if we leave her totally alone. The times that we have 'checked' to see how she would react with a chick (there were 2 hens in the same nesting area) she would try to peck it and peck it hard. Even when the other hen was removed from the situation, when the hen saw a baby under her, she would freak somewhat. I am not sure as to what to do..She has a pipping chick under her right now..would you pull it and put it in the incubator, or would you leave it to see how she reacts if it hatches on it's own and stay away from the area?

Thanks for any advice!
Colette

Yes.

I had a half-hatched duckling and wasn't sure if the mother would accept it. I left and came back an hour later, it was dead.

So I saved the next two and took them out from under her once they were pipped.

This is exactly what my son and I are thinking. If she is that violent to a chick that is new, then what would keep her from attacking the others? She hasn't killed a chick directly, but I am thinking that it isn't far off as she went after the fully dry chick where the others would at least stop and look at the chick. I love chickens, but they can be a little dense at times and not mother material.

One thing I can tell you is I have had chickens that have shown aggression towards other baby chicks (ones not raised by a mother aka store bought) but wen they hatched their own they did a complete 360 and turned out to be some of the best mothers I have had. I would allow her to have a chance (supervised of course) and see how she reacts with HER OWN chicks. Just my personal experience! Hope you find it helpful!

Back
Top Bottom