Should I rehome EE rooster?

Scchickenmom

Chirping
Apr 3, 2023
South Carolina
I apologize if this is a stupid question, I’m very new to all of this. We have 15 chickens total. 11 of them are 20 weeks old and 4 easter eggers are 16 weeks old. They have all been together now for 8 weeks. We never wanted a rooster…but of course we ended up with one in the EE group. He is beautiful and just started crowing, also just started acting like he wants to mate. I’m not thrilled with that, but understand nature.

My biggest concern is I believe he is keeping the 3 EE pullets from integrating into the flock. I’ve noticed that he tries to keep them in the coop and will stand at the door between the coop and run to guard it. When I’m able to be home for them to free range, other girls are now around those 3 with out chasing and pecking at them and I believe if they were able to have more interactions during the day they would become less skittish. These 3 are the only ones I can’t readily pick up for exams and to hold and I really want them to become more comfortable around me and the rest of the girls.

I don’t think I have another rooster in my group. I questioned 1out of 4 barred rock because of a pronounced comb and wattles, but it’s the same color and size of the other 3. And all 4 polish are looking like hens. So if this one goes it would be an all girl band. Would this change the dynamics enough to help the 3 EE or would it hurt things more?
Picture of the offending jerk for tax :)

Attachments

• IMG_7892.jpeg
    IMG_7892.jpeg
    811.4 KB · Views: 70
ive had roos keeping hens separate before. i put them in the stew pot. ONLY if you rally don't care for them or don't need them would I recommend rehoming. If you like him then keep him and you'll have to work the hard way of gaining trust

ive had roos keeping hens separate before. i put them in the stew pot. ONLY if you rally don't care for them or don't need them would I recommend rehoming. If you like him then keep him and you'll have to work the hard way of gaining trust
Is it gaining his trust that we need to work on? Or the hens?
When you got rid of the rooster, did the separated hens join in with the rest of the flock?

Is it gaining his trust that we need to work on? Or the hens?
When you got rid of the rooster, did the separated hens join in with the rest of the flock?
you'll have to work on gaining the trust of both. my hens will ignore roos if it means head scritches and treats. and yes the new ones did integrate into the flock

Your younger birds will be a sub flock until they begin to lay, with or without a rooster. However, a rooster can often dominate a smaller and younger bird, when he can't an older bird. That might be the problem, he is not keeping them in, he is waiting for them to come out, and they are afraid to.

You only want hens, only keeps hens. It is a very good idea to have a hen only flock the first year and get some experience.

Mrs K

I agree, having a rooster is not easy and generally not consistent, in my opinion, with how most people envisioning having a flock. Once all of your pullets start laying they will likely integrate without problem with or without the rooster. As the rooster gets more sexually mature, the protective nature now seen toward the three will likely extend to the others. At which point the rooster either sees you as the boss, or the threat, which is where raising chickens level 2.0 comes in :)

No shame in culling for dinner or giving away to be loved (or culled), people literally do it all the time...first go at it I felt bad/sad/combination of the two...but not nearly as bad as when i first learned what a roster can do to your heel/calf.

Your younger birds will be a sub flock until they begin to lay, with or without a rooster. However, a rooster can often dominate a smaller and younger bird, when he can't an older bird. That might be the problem, he is not keeping them in, he is waiting for them to come out, and they are afraid to.

You only want hens, only keeps hens. It is a very good idea to have a hen only flock the first year and get some experience.

Mrs K
Thank you. Hubby is slightly attached to the boy, but he literally bit one of the older hens combs yesterday. I’m over the bullying and it really hasn’t even started.

I agree, having a rooster is not easy and generally not consistent, in my opinion, with how most people envisioning having a flock. Once all of your pullets start laying they will likely integrate without problem with or without the rooster. As the rooster gets more sexually mature, the protective nature now seen toward the three will likely extend to the others. At which point the rooster either sees you as the boss, or the threat, which is where raising chickens level 2.0 comes in :)

No shame in culling for dinner or giving away to be loved (or culled), people literally do it all the time...first go at it I felt bad/sad/combination of the two...but not nearly as bad as when i first learned what a roster can do to your heel/calf.
Oh yes. I had a rooster attack me as a child. So I was not thrilled about having one. I keep grabbing this one to give him “loves” and he is less than thrilled LOL!

Back
Top Bottom