Should i rehome two of my roosters?

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
I have 1 RIR roo who is my sons favourite. That roo is 11 weeks old and still hasnt crowed yet thank god. We also have 2x 7 week old roos...salmon fav and SS hamburg. I have enough pullets for them, live on >5acres on the edge of town, and have enough room in the run/coop for them. What i am worried about is that our neighbours dont get too upset with the noise. What do you all think? The neighbours are across the road, maybe 150feet from the coop/run. We also have neighbours on each side who are similar distances from the birds.

I have prepared my son that we will need to sell the younger roos already but i would love to keep them if possible. Any advice from those of you in a similar boat to me would be great.

Ignore the neighbors; keep the roosters. If you have five acres you are far enough away from them.

Rufus

Aran,

I'm also worried what my neighbors will say when my rooster starts crowing, but I'm going to wait and see if they complain. If they don't, then I'm going to keep them, if they do - I'm getting more!

IMO I don't worry about what the neighbors think...maybe that makes me bad neighbor, but if I am supposed to be able to put up with their dogs (that bark all day) and the constant driving in and out of the drive with their loud, in much need of a muffler truck and their kids screaming all day, well I guess they can deal with my roosters. It's not as if my roosters crow constantly for hours on end, I doubt they crow every 1/2 hour. Mine are also in bed by 8pm at the latest and I don't hear them again until I get up and let them out at around 8am.
I say keep your roos, if the neighbors don't like it they can move to the city and listen to traffic and construction all day AND night.
tongue.png
JMHO

thanks guys...i might just hang on to them then and see what happens...the worst that will happen is that they will complain and then maybe i can soften them up with some free eggs!

Ok next q...is there anyway to tell with silkies when they are little who is the roo? Probably not right? Wait til they lay eggs right?

I have a second coop and run and have heard that both silkies and buff laced polish are kind of timid relative to other birds and can be pecked due to their "hair-dos". Will they be ok together even though the silkies are not standard size chickens? The BLP are standards. Having said that at the moment its all academic because with the exception of the two silkies who have hatched all the others are eggs still!
tongue.png

My silkies (2 hens and 1 roo) were 4 months old when I got them, and it was easy to tell which was which - they're both puffy, but the roo has a definate, though small, comb, and his neck and neck feathers are longer and his tail feathers are much longer. Also, he struts around and acts like a roo!
I, too, am hoping that silkies and other chickens can co-exist, as I have 2 Rhode Island Reds coming in a few weeks! They will be much younger than my silkies - will that help?

Sorry if this makes anyone angry but.............who cares about your neighbors! If you have no restrictions on your land and you are permitted to have chickens then you can have them.

southern mate you are hilarious! I have actually not even checked that we are allowed chickens..i figured we were since ppl around us have horses/cows etc. Down the end of my road someone has a small coop with maybe 10 chickens in it i think.

I would keep them I have a neighbor who is right next door and he has 2 roos. I can hardly hear them unless the wind is blowing in our direction. Or they are right at the fence line and they have never complained about my roos I've had over the years. So wait it out and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom