Should I separate my injured chicken

Slyder000

Hatching
May 21, 2016
My little girl injured her leg when she was young but recovered around 2 weeks. With time in the coop she started to limp more and more. Her leg is still not good. She hangs with the others 80% of the time, eats and scratches around. I was wondering if i should pull her out or leave her with the others since she doesn't get bullied. I checked her feet, no cuts or anything out of the norm and she seems happy. Shall i let her be with the others?

Welcome to BYC!

As long as she not being picked on, I'd leave her with the others for now.

How old is she?
Was leg bad at hatch or as day old?
More info, and/or pics, on bad leg might help.

I am a big advocate of NOT separating a birds. It often causes considerable more problems than it fixes. If she is getting along, she is getting along. Make sure water and feed are available, and she will probably do just fine. I had one that limped for quite a while, and did come out of it.

She is over 2months old and hurt her leg almost a month ago. I'll get pictures soon. She's still gaining weight and size. Her left leg looks bowed but it's her right leg that she favors.

I separated 2 of my little girls when each of them got injured (both hurt their leg) and put them in the duckling brooder! At first they didn't like it very much, but it was warm and the ducklings are gentle little roomies... long story short, they both are better and mingle with the flock and don't get picked on. But they always go to bed in the duck house :) they think they are duckies!

Back
Top Bottom