Should I still buy grit or can I save a couple dollars?

Mallory

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Walbridge, Ohio
When I get some birds, they will be kept in a chicken tractor something like the one posted on My BYC Page. I read the FAQ thread regarding grit and saw the photo that was posted (the one balancing an egg) and I was surprised how large grit was compared to what I thought.

So here's my question:

This is a couple photo's of the size of stone our driveway is made of.

185442.jpg

185452.jpg

Will it be efficient as a grit for my chickens? Does it matter WHAT kind of stone they eat? I ask because I read that true chicken grit is granite...

Also, they wouldn't be able to have free access to the driveway whenever, since they'll be "tractored"... so I figured I'd keep a feeder full of grit and stone from the driveway kept in the coop. Thanks for the help, in advance!

That driveway grit is fine - it's natural!!! Rock is different in different regions and chickens have been doing just fine for years. Save your $.

If they aren't free-range, I'd buy them grit at the feed store. But that is just me. Everyone has differing opinions.
big_smile.png

Driveways get alot of runoff on them from your vehicles. And who knows where they trucked the gravel in from. But I guess the same might be said of what you buy in the store.
hu.gif

I provide cherry stone grit for my layers but they seem to like to pick up stone on the shoulders of the road better! I bought the bag 15 years ago and there is still some in it! I just cut it open and let it sit in the anteroom of the coop in an old cat box. IT's there if they want it! Terri O

Quote:
I thought of this, too. So when I pull it for them, I won't be taking it from areas where the cars are usually parked. We also have a huge pole barn with the same stuff (if not a little finer) that I know hasn't had anything contaminate it, per say.

Quote:
lau.gif

Okay good point. I think I'm over thinking it.

Not really. It's great that you're doing your research before getting chickens.
smile.png

I have never given grit to my chickens. They free range as well so unless they start having problems, I assume they are ok. Like you I went through the do I or don't I give grit stage and until I no longer have pebbles in the ground for them to eat then they won't have grit. Save some money.

Back
Top Bottom