Should I try to force-feed my chicken even when she's fallen asleep?

The vet told me to feed her as much as I can, he did not specify exactly how much or when, so I asked around BYC about these things and learned that I should be feeding 30ml of the 'Liquid Nutrition' every 6 - 8 hours. I'll confirm this with the vet when he opens tomorrow.

The vet gave me a syringe-dropper to feed her with. I found the drops from the dropper just rolled right off her beak, so I tried dipping her beak into the contents of a spoon. When I did this she opened her beak and allowed me to pour the mixture in little by little. When her mouth is full, she tips her head back, swallowing, and rubs her beak together. Then I dip her beak in the stuff again and repeat the process until the spoon is empty.

Thank you for your concern! I will make sure to crack down on that vet to give me some solid information.

That's 30ml per kilogram, so if she weighs 4.4 pounds, she woul get 60ml every 6-8 as long as her crop was clearing and she can sit or stand.

If the bird is not eating/drinking on her own, she needs to be tube fed 30ml/kg ever 6-8 hours. I would love to ask your vet why he/she didn't show you how to tube feed.

Did he also give you a tube and show you how to use it?

Oh dear-- looks like I need to schedule another appointment with the vet. He didn't show me how to tube feed (he did it quickly in front of me), or give me a tube, so I will go back as soon as he's free to get him to teach me how.

Thanks for the advice, tube-feeding seems *much* easier than the slow-going I'm doing now.

The vet told me to feed her as much as I can, he did not specify exactly how much or when, so I asked around BYC about these things and learned that I should be feeding 30ml of the 'Liquid Nutrition' every 6 - 8 hours. I'll confirm this with the vet when he opens tomorrow.

The vet gave me a syringe-dropper to feed her with. I found the drops from the dropper just rolled right off her beak, so I tried dipping her beak into the contents of a spoon. When I did this she opened her beak and allowed me to pour the mixture in little by little. When her mouth is full, she tips her head back, swallowing, and rubs her beak together. Then I dip her beak in the stuff again and repeat the process until the spoon is empty.

Thank you for your concern! I will make sure to crack down on that vet to give me some solid information.
In this situation, it seems you did the right thing. Not the Vet. As long as she swallows it herself, it should be okay.

That's 30ml per kilogram, so if she weighs 4.4 pounds, she woul get 60ml every 6-8 as long as her crop was clearing and she can sit or stand.

Oh... I see... I will get a tube ASAP...

She can't stand, her legs are paralyzed, but she can lie down on her side with her head facing up. Is that OK for her crop?

In this situation, it seems you did the right thing. Not the Vet. As long as she swallows it herself, it should be okay.

Okay. Well, I'll be getting a tube hopefully tomorrow so I won't need to be doing slow, messy spoon feeding. Thanks for all the help
smile.png

After you get the feeding situation down straight, we need to 'talk'. Casportpony can tell you how the tube feeding is done and exactly how much and how often. I'd trust my own birds to her in a heart beat and in fact have in the past.

After you get the feeding situation down straight, we need to 'talk'. Casportpony can tell you how the tube feeding is done and exactly how much and how often. I'd trust my own birds to her in a heart beat and in fact have in the past.
Thanks for the compliment, haunted55.

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom