Should neighbors combine flocks?

I'd try to address the fact that their animal is already harassing yours before attempting to range yours.
Find out what the laws are without divulging the problem, so you know what your rights are if yo need to use them.

This thread has potential for being intertaining and involves what I have to deal with when I own both flocks.

First show a picture of this rooster and his hen. Then a picture indicating property boundaries and roads.

hi there, just curious how high is your fence? Is it feasible to chickenproof the fence between your properties?
The run fence is six feet high with a netted canopy over the top so nothing can get in there. As far as fences between properties, ours is a quite high wooden privacy fence that runs along where their property meets ours. We don't have a fence going all the way around us. The neighbor's fence is the problem. The fence that runs along the back of their property is about waist-high, wire and post, and in very poor repair. That's where their chickens are getting out, walking through the woods that is at the back of both of our properties, and entering our yard. To complicate matters, the woods belongs to neither of us and the neighbor's property is a rental that they are not responsible for maintaining.
All that said, I might start by just getting the folks next door a nice quality rooster leash and hoping they take the hint, rather than jumping straight into making this a whole big official neighborhood squabble between us, them, the rental property owner, and the folks who own the woods.

The run fence is six feet high with a netted canopy over the top so nothing can get in there. As far as fences between properties, ours is a quite high wooden privacy fence that runs along where their property meets ours. We don't have a fence going all the way around us. The neighbor's fence is the problem. The fence that runs along the back of their property is about waist-high, wire and post, and in very poor repair. That's where their chickens are getting out, walking through the woods that is at the back of both of our properties, and entering our yard. To complicate matters, the woods belongs to neither of us and the neighbor's property is a rental that they are not responsible for maintaining.
All that said, I might start by just getting the folks next door a nice quality rooster leash and hoping they take the hint, rather than jumping straight into making this a whole big official neighborhood squabble between us, them, the rental property owner, and the folks who own the woods.
I hear you - nothing like ramping up the issues. Good luck with your communications with them!

Absolutely want to avoid that, but finding out your rights on the down low now might help you make decisions and be prepared if things do escalate.

Show picture of the neighbors rooster. This very important from my perspective on what approach taken. Also show more recent picture of your younger cockerels as you may have a problem coming there later as well.

Here's some footage of the neighbor's rooster and hen. This behavior is pretty typical. Depending on the time of day, he may be more or less agitated than this. First thing in the morning or when the flock is feeding is when he's worst.
0.jpg
0.jpg
I don't know why there's no thumbnail.

Oops. I guess there is a thumbnail. And I guess I attached it twice. Maybe I'm not so good with video :p

Back
Top Bottom