Should there be this difference? BOs

bbhorsefly

Songster
Jun 24, 2015
I bought some Buff Orpingtons from a local breeder. She vent sexed them before they ate and also checked their wing feathers. She sold me what she thought were pullets. They hatched June 23rd and came right home with me after drying, eating, and drinking so I'm positive about their age.
Here is my dilemma, at 5 weeks old, should their combs be so different? 3 have the bigger redder combs. This one is the only with the smaller, paper comb. Did I only get one pullet? Or is it too early to tell yet?

If they're purebred Orpingtons, they shouldn't be feather sexable--that's a sex-link trait that requires specifically breeding a slow-feathering breed and a fast-feathering breed and the cross only works that first cross (just like black sex links, and red sex links).

If they're purebred Orpingtons, they shouldn't be feather sexable--that's a sex-link trait that requires specifically breeding a slow-feathering breed and a fast-feathering breed and the cross only works that first cross (just like black sex links, and red sex links).

She just said, "there is some debate that when they first hatch pullet wing tip feathers are slightly longer, but it's by no means a sure thing..."

I think you're finding out how "not a sure thing" this is. I'd contact her, if you paid for pullets she needs to exchange or refund you. Those red combs are cockerels.

She did tell me that she was usually really accurate with vent sexing which is why she was "able to sell sexed and not just straight run."

Quick question: how do hatcheries sex? I'm aware that even hatcheries can make mistakes and sometimes, regardless of your pullet order you could end up with a roo, but is vent sexing not that accurate either?

It takes a trained professional with perfect eye sight to accurately vent sex. The hatcheries are well over 90% accurate. They use the 90% disclaimer to cover themselves from disgruntled customers.

Feather sexing at hatch makes no sense to me. Chicks don't have feathers.

As mentioned hatcheries vent sex and usually guarantee 90 to 95% accuracy. The hatcheries will also feather sex and color sex for the appropriate sex linked varieties.

I would assume (yes, I know what they say about assuming) one of three options: the breeder doesn't know what she's doing as well as she thinks she does, accidentally gave you chicks from the cockerel bin, or intentionally duped you into taking cockerels if she does know what she's doing.

You certainly can feather sex chicks at hatch--if their breeding is correct--it is a sex linked deal just like black and red sex links (must breed a rapid feathering bird over a slow feathering bird).
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/261208/sex-linked-information#post_3100338

Back
Top Bottom