Should under the coop be closed off or left open?

I created a large deer netted area around a few sides of my house and attached to their coop and run after a hawk attack. I still let them free range daily and have tried a few other things to deter the hawks but the deer netting has held up since beggining of year. Its not pretty but it works for now. I do want to find something more substantial, mine was an immediate solution to an ever lurking problem.
Attimus

I created a large deer netted area around a few sides of my house and attached to their coop and run after a hawk attack. I still let them free range daily and have tried a few other things to deter the hawks but the deer netting has held up since beggining of year. Its not pretty but it works for now. I do want to find something more substantial, mine was an immediate solution to an ever lurking problem.
Attimus

Hi Attimus, poking around I found aviary netting that comes in 25x100, 50x50, 25x25, 25x50, ranging from $60-120 depending on size at mypetchicken. According the the description, the useful life is in the 8-12yr range. I haven't looked around for best price etc yet but it seems like a viable option, and it is supposed to withstand hawks (85lb breaking point). Given the shape of my intended 'home area' I think I might try using the 7ft deer netting for the narrow area under the densely branched trees and then the heavier aviary netting for open stretches. Eventually the plan is to have a portable area to use in various areas in our fenced pastures for daytime use, sort of free ranging, but every day I see them on patrol. Thanks for the feedback! Still plugging away at the chicken palace in between the raindrops. =)

Hi Attimus, poking around I found aviary netting that comes in 25x100, 50x50, 25x25, 25x50, ranging from $60-120 depending on size at mypetchicken. According the the description, the useful life is in the 8-12yr range. I haven't looked around for best price etc yet but it seems like a viable option, and it is supposed to withstand hawks (85lb breaking point). Given the shape of my intended 'home area' I think I might try using the 7ft deer netting for the narrow area under the densely branched trees and then the heavier aviary netting for open stretches. Eventually the plan is to have a portable area to use in various areas in our fenced pastures for daytime use, sort of free ranging, but every day I see them on patrol. Thanks for the feedback! Still plugging away at the chicken palace in between the raindrops. =)

The shipping charges are quite high from what I've found so far on the aviary netting.

That would have been a very good idea! Last night I found a 50x100 2" aviary net for $100, including shipping, with positive reviews from chicken owners with hawk problems. That's twice the size of the others I found for a much much better price- once it comes in and we install our run, I'll let you know how it worked out! The chicks are due to ship tomorrow so it will of course be a while before we can officially field test it. =) With a net covering the whole thing I feel better about trying to leave the area under the building open provided they don't use it for laying!! Not crawling under this!

Looks like your chickens will have a fun landscape to play in. If you ever get eggs under the shed just attach a little hand shovel to a stick.

A friend put this together when he gave me a pen with a low door so I wouldn't have to crawl in.
Attimus

Back
Top Bottom