Should we rethink pallet coop construction...?

1newchickontheblock

Songster
10 Years
Jan 7, 2010
Eastern MA
I am always the first to think reduce, reuse, recycle, but just received some new information recently...

I was phoned by an environmental group re contaminated pallets - a little quick google showed up this information, which I never even thought about...This is about burning pallets, but this info is directly relevant.
Perhaps armed with this information, we should rethink our use of these materials as homes for our gals...

Food for thought - thought I should share this info...

Rose check this link

http://biomassbuzz.blogspot.com/2009/08/dr-ellen-moyer-on-pallets-as-fuel.html

Heck, I used a peice of that pressed board in my coop, the kind that is like 1/4" thick card-board, and it had a big fat sticker on it that says" known to the state of Ca to cause cancer" . . .

Just breathing makes us sick these days . . .

Weve had bonfires with pallets that were so huge, we mustve given the whole county cancer . . .

sickbyc.gif

I did not read the article... but there are many types of pallets.... (here anyways).. some have been treated and some have not. the painted ones are the easy ones to figure out.. if i drive down to the factories i can find plain pine pallets that were made to be "disposable" one use pallets

Look at the pallets are they nice clean fresh new wood pallets like tractor supply uses? Are they stained a really dark greyish brown? Are they painted blue? It seems pretty clear that in this day in age you will find some ding bat crying about anything and everything under the sun. Pressure treated lumber is bad , VOC in paint , PCBs , coffee sweateners , breathing , dye in clothes , chinese toys. OMG drinking tap water!
sad.png

We are all still alive. We didnt wear bike helmets , we swam in ponds and rivers and OMG drank out of a garden hose or a water fountain as kids! We shot bricks of .22s our hands used to be black (I dont have lead poisoning from it) But lead is the devil dont forget (if you even look at it you will die
roll.png
. Things are blown way out of porportion. As far as they are concerend we should not drink water , paint our houses , drive cars , wear clothes , use lumber , paper , eat meat , have pets (Some groups consider it abuse abuse keeping animals as pets!!) What else oh yeah pallets are created in the bowels of hell and are evil
roll.png

I say stick to your plan. Find some nice clean pallets ( Tractor supply around back of the building ROCKS for pallets. They are almost always REALLY clean like new. In the fall when they get the log splitters delivered they have double long ones!) and build your coop. Then go ahead and give them a nice snazzy paint job with some of that evil exterior paint and enjoy.
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom