Should we rethink pallet coop construction...?

Considering I am NOT burning my coop.... and hope y'all aren't either.... I don't foresee a problem.
The pallets I get aren't pressure treated, painted, etc, and will start to rot within months if I leave them on wet ground just like regular wood.
Not changing my plans on building a deck base, shed, compost bin, etc with them just because of one article either!

Ok, I am loving the pallet coop! I had really never thought about something like that!! The only thing I am nervous about though, is having such a cold winter... And the flat roof. So I may make little tweaks to make it more "NY freindly"
gig.gif

Anyone have any tips for me?

Love all the passionate replies!
Point is, "one little article" can increase one's awareness of dangers inherent in some products we may be using - for our chickens, our homes, our children, ourselves. No, I'm not burning a coop, or licking one, or rubbing my chickens on it and then eating them - nor am I vilifying pallet coop makers (was considering it myself) -not the point. Just trying to help open our eyes, and minds, to the fact that all is not necessarily as straightforward as it seems, and hopefully next time someone will think twice before putting something in their mouths, in their gardens, or in their children's hands without a little extra thought behind it.
thanks for looking!
duc.gif

Quote:
I'm planning on building a small pallet coop and I was just going to raise on end to make a shed roof. I'm then hoping my DH will volunteer to put on a metal roof (we have pieces left over from last years construction project).

We have some pallets that we are planning for a few coops so I did some quick research on pallets and wood that is treated for overseas shipping which may include pallets. Much of this wood is Heat Treated meaning heated in a kiln to 56 degrees Celcius (core temp) for 30 min.to kill pests (mainly bugs). This wood would have a stamp on it showing it had been heat treated as HT. I would think that this type of wood pallet would be the safest to use for chickens. The pallets I have, have a HT stamp on them.

From my reseach, I found that the US and some other countries are currently trying to phase out pallets/treated wood that had been chemically fumigated with methyl bromide. Methyl Bromide has been suspected to cause a range of health problems such as lung and neurological problems as well as possibly deplete the ozone layer. The pallets that have been treated with Methyl Bromide should be stamped MB. MB is kinda scary and I wouldn't want any of my egg layers or anything I eat etc. to be in one of those pallet coops lol. I read one online report that said that some dock workers may have suffered health problems due to handling wood fumigated with methyl bromide.

There are other chemical treatments that are done such as chemical pressure impregnation which should be stamped CPI. I have not found all the list of what all chemicals that would be in the CPI wood. If you do a seach for treated pallets lots of information comes up including places that make pallets. Some of these places have quite a bit of information on different treatment for pallets including other links. Hopefully someone else can add more information here on treated pallets. Please post here if you have any other information on treated pallets/wood.
~Lenette

Last edited:
I love your design! Question: have you had any issues with the gaps between the pallet boards and no flooring? I'm worried about racoons digging and climbing in. The racoons in our area are VERY resourceful!

Back
Top Bottom