Should you hold roosters?

NicsChics

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
Should you hold and handle your rooster. My husbands seems to think he’s read that the more you handle rooster the more likely they are to be aggressive, whereas I’ve read that frequently handling roosters makes them more friendly. What’s the general consensus with this one?

I’m sure you can handle a rooster. It shouldn’t be too bad. Now I’m new to raising chickens so I’m not too helpful but approach the chicken nice gentle and calm when you pick it up and there should be no fuss.

Should you hold and handle your rooster. My husbands seems to think he’s read that the more you handle rooster the more likely they are to be aggressive, whereas I’ve read that frequently handling roosters makes them more friendly. What’s the general consensus with this one?
I raised both of my roosters with almost constant handling. They are complete mama's boys; they are going to be 2 in April. 😂

I think the handling is irrelevant. Imprinting is the key that unlocks human aggression. Certain breeds can be violent if imprinted on humans because they then think humans are chickens

Every single aggressive rooster I've ever encountered was human imprinted

In my experience handling them makes them friendlier! It’s also good practice for when/if you need to trim their spurs. I may be biased since the boy I raised comes running up whenever he sees me though.

All of mine are big babies thanks to being handled. I've found no link to aggressive behavior to being handled, but the complete opposite.

If they tolerate being held, then why not? I try not to cuddle mine before puberty starts. When it becomes clear for me how they're likely to continue acting, I'll decide if it's worth trying to get them tolerant of human handling. I have three males that adore being held, the other 15 or so would rather not be handled

Back
Top Bottom